Thursday, June 09, 2022

 

Jack’s Winning Words  6/9/22
“I don’t know what more to say.  I mean, we’re all going to die in a world that is worse than when we entered it,”  (Daniel Berrigan)  Daniel was once a R.C. priests during the protests of the 60’s.  His quote captures the spirit of that time.  I wonder if the same attitude mirrors how  some people feel about the world today?  What do you think?  How can we of this generation leave  the world better than when it was given us?  What suggestions do you have?  A lady in the area where I live wants to do away with manicured lawns and, instead, to grow grass on the roofs of houses.  Some Scandinavians have been doing this since prehistoric times, with goats serving as lawnmowers.  ;-) Jack  


FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I do not agree with Mr. Berrigan. By every measure we have less poverty, less hunger, we are doing better than ever.   Medical advances recently saved my wife. Our cars and trucks are fifty times faster and safer. Building and construction technology vastly improved.    The one thing that has declined is critical thinking and objective gratitude for our wonderful lives.  Opportunity abounds yet people like to moan and whine.   The nihilist says there is no reason to live, he never considers perhaps he is worthless to himself and his fellow humans.   I'm glad Daniel didn't live in my neighborhood.  Shut off the TV and live.===JACK:  Fr Berrigan was living in the tumultuous 60's.  He did not have the benefit of seeing what positives might come with the future.  Is the same situation existing today?  when we do not have the foresight to see future benefits?  Perhaps a green world is in our future.  Perhaps world peace will come in our time.  Perhaps Americans will come together to celebrate what a great country is their's.  The optimists see the glass half full; the pessimists, half-empty. 


FROM M&L IN WB:  Joan, in response to Jack’s WW question as to how we can make the world better..I (Mike) have been reading Wendell Berry. He offers a lot of suggestions about how we can get to communal living and greater respect for the earth. Good ideas about making the world a better place.  our world is better since we have you both as friends. ===JACK:  Do you remember the song, That's What Friends Are For?  Those lyrics make the pooint about friendship.


FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Another thought-provoking quote.  I still have hope but it is because I can see little signs of promise in the church.  Pastor Karole and the Pastor of Shepherd of the Lakes are going to do a zoom Bible study on the ELCA’s social statements, the first one being the Church in society.  Read the social statement and it says the Church needs to take a stand of maintaining a critical distance from society so it can be a prophetic voice when it needs to.  I welcome this study because I don’t believe we lay people, as far as I can determine anyway, actually have thought very deeply on what it means to maintain a critical distance from society.  Plenty of Christians think in terms of moral issues but we have problems with thinking about and deliberating on institutional issues.  I think, if we’re going to leave the world in a better place when we die, the Church has to assume more responsibility in our society, this is my perspective anyway and Pastors willing to engage congregations on these matters is a very proactive step.  Probably I would have enjoyed having a friendship with Daniel Berrigan, even if he was kind of pessimistic, he might have cared about the same justice issues I do.  Just guessing though. him being a R.C. Priest and maybe very concerned about poverty.===JACK:  I agree with need for a prophet to society....but sometimes the Church needs to have a prophet to speak to the Church.  The Church doesn't always have all of the answers.  A does of humility is good for each of us.


FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  As I think you have heard me say, I feel there is less fun in the world today and more stress. So my words are to have more fun so long as it is not at anyone else’s expense.  Time flies when u r having fun.  Stress is largely self induced and very overrated.  ===JACK:  As you go through life, let this be your goal....Keep your eye on the donut and not the hole.


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  another quote from the Berrigan brothers in the 1960s was this one:  if you are really serious about following Jesus,  you better look good on wood! 


FROM COPPER COUNTRY BOB:   My kids say, "We were born in the right place at the righttime.  We had freedom and a community that disciplined us."    Both they and myself  feel the truth of his quote.===JACK:  Many things are good or ba  Positive thinkers have more fun than do negative ones.d, depending on the way you look at them.

No comments: