Monday, June 06, 2022

 

*Jack’s Winning Words  6/6/22
“Are you running with me, Jesus?”  (Malcolm Boyd )    Boyd was an Episcopal priest, a college chaplain  and a product of “the American 60’s.”  “Are You Running With Me, Jesus” is a book of informal prayers, showing how it’s possible to “talk” to Jesus as you would to an ordinary guy.  Jesus, do you understand what’s going on in my life?..Jesus, why is all this bad stuff going on around us?  Jesus, I need your help with this problem…Jesus, I feel lonely.  Do you hear me?  … Are you comfortable with informal prayers, or are you used to the more “churchy-type”?  My feeling is that God knows our concerns, regardless of the words we choose…or even prayers without words.  ;-)  Jack


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  i well recall this book,  Jack.  it was kind of revolutionary in that it so personalized our talking with our Lord.   it seems kind of tame today but then it caused a bit of a stir in some theological circles as well as elsewhere.   have a good day===JACK:  If that kind of praying was controversial then, what is controversial now?  ===SP:  Good question!


FROM WILLMAR REV:  "Gracious He is, and certainly with me. Mine have been centered more so asking Jesus if I've been faithful running with Him?!" 0;- )===JACK:  The book cover shows Boyd wearing a clerical collar and having a cigarette.  Would that keep an AG from buying the book and reading it?  Of course, the picture represents "then"...It's a different world "now".===REV:  When pastoring in East Detroit (now Eastpoint) and before coming to West Bloomfield, I had a large table in the church foyer with a selection of our denominational publications and something at times like Charisma Magazine. I was shocked occasionally finding a JW Watchtower magazine or a publication from the World Church of Tomorow.  I suppose it would be like finding "The Good of Speaking in Tongues!" on one of the foyer tables at Holy Spirit Lutheran Church in West Bloomfield?.!  0;-))===JACK:  Oooooh!  That would be scarey, but I wouldn't remove it.  One of our members chose to go to a church where there was speaking in tongues.  I've wondered why, but we've never had that discussion.  We each have freedom of choice.


FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  jesus seems as if he had no personality, no humor. this bothers me.===JACK:  Quite the contrary...Books have been written about the humor of Jesus.  As you understand the spirit of the time and circumstances in which He lived, it does come through.  It is not the BOLD and BRASH humor that we're used to, but it's there, just the same.  Google a picture of the "laughing Jesus." ===LIZ:  i ️ a dry wit. as you likely know.===JACK:  I don't see Jesus as a HA HA sort of guy, but I do believe that He had a sense of humor.  I'd like to have Him as a friend.===LIZ:  he seems dull from my limited viewpoint... loses something in translation, perhaps. ===JACK:  We're living in a different time and situation.....and, besides that, we're not God in human form.


FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Agree with you, God knows us whatever thoughts or words or prayers we use.  I appreciate though this college chaplain writing a book that might touch people’s hearts and needs and inspire them in praying/talking to Jesus.  I’ve read that St. Francis, a lay person, one night in a time of anguish, actually spent all night long, asking “who am I God?” and “Who are you, God?”, a lot of people can probably relate to those prayers too, I know I could.  Just hurting is an honest prayer.  I love reading books on prayer and becoming aware of what many people think about the subject, so comforting to know prayer is uppermost in the concerns of universally practically everybody seems like anyway, folks want to connect to our Creator and to our neighbors.===JACK:  If you haven't rad Boyd's book, but it on your "to do" list.  A used copy should be pretty cheap and worth having in the church library.


THE SCIENTIST:  I suppose I’m more informal as I’ve gotten older. I still fall back on the 6 or 7 parts of prayer that we discussed in confirmation though… at least the one part “if this is your will.” I figure even if I’ve expressed a need my idea of a solution may not be the right one so this is an opportunity for humility.===JACK:  One of the lessons of Confirmation is that the learning process goes on.  It can also mean "unlearning" certain things...not that they are wrong, but that they can stand another look, given different circumstances.  I have come to pray the Lord's Prayer.....Thy will be done on Earth," by God, as well as by us. ===S:    Hmmm.  I will think of that. But, Is this sort of like my dad saying that part of asking is doing my part? We cannot just say - here is the problem - and then hope for a magic wand answer. Often we are called to put in the work to be part of the solution. ===JACK:  Your dad is not only a dad; he's a teacher, as well.  You are fortunate to have been immersed in a teaching situation.  ...and that you applied yourself to learning.

 


FROM RVB:  I share your Feeling ... 😄😄😊‼‼===JACK:  Prayer  is simply a conversation with God, as one would have with a best friend.


FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Perhaps every desire is an informal prayer. We can't get away from hierarchy it is a basic human instinct. Whatever we have as the highest priority on our list, thought, paper, and ultimately actions is our God.===JACK:  One of the great mysteries...How can the "limited" communicate with the "unlimited?"  I happen to believe that that is why Jesus was created - so that God could reveal His will to man in terms that man would understand.


FROM SHALOM JAN:  Amen! especially to the prayers without words (which are often difficult/impossible to find in our conscious brain).===JACK:  Silence is sometimes very hard for us to tolerate.  Silent prayers often don't last very long.  Especially with pastors, talking seems to be high on the "to do" list.


FROM GP:  One more try - You may be interested in knowing that Malcolm Boyd was an acquittance/client of mine many years ago when he lived in Ann Arbor. .It was after he wrote Are You Running. If we ever find time to have lunch again,  I will tell you a little story about that time in my life.===JACK:  Another chapter in the complex GP story.  You are not only a friend, but you are a very interesting friend.


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I LOVED THAT BOOK!  I THINK PRAYER IS JUST A CONVERSATION WITH GOD...PRETTY INFORMAL IN MY CASE! XO===JACK:  I never was much into "formal" prayer.  I've always found it much easier to pray as though I were having a conversation with God.


No comments: