Tuesday, June 07, 2022

 

Jack’s Winning Words  6/7//22
For their pastor, they want St. Paul on roller skates.”  (Bishop J. Milton. Nelson)  Last week I saw several large signs…WE’RE HIRING!  Even the Church is facing a shortage of pastors, although I’ve yet to see a “Help Wanted” sign on a Church.  Part of the “job problem” is finding qualified people.  Not everyone can drive a semi, operate a backhoe, program a computer or preach a sermon.  When Bishop Nelson told me that most congregations are looking for,  “St. Paul on  roller skates” to be their leader, he implied that employers aren't always realistic in their expectations, and I suppose job candidates aren't always realistic either.  “WE’RE HIRING” means that the help is needed, but let's make some things - like being able to SKATE - optional.    ;-) Jack


FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  odd situation we have... no one wants to work, and they don't seem to have to, inexplicably.===JACK:  "No one", to me, is an incorrect modifier.  "Some people" do not work at available jobs for a variety of reasons.  Laziness might be one of the reasons.  But, don't lump all of the unemployed into the lazy category.  We both know that societal issues are complex and that answers are not easy.===LIZ:   we also are not so naive as to believe govts (foreign and domestic) want to see the US tank... ===JACK:  Jealousy is not limited to you and me.  One of the best jealousy involves Joseph and his amazing technicolor dreamcoat.  You're right!  Countries can be jealous of each other.  So can political philosophers.  There are no easy solutions to some of life's problems, but we still yearn for solutions.  


FROM SHALOM JAN:  Amen, brother!  And let's help young, dedicated Christians attend seminary by paying for their education!===JACK:  I'm afraid that I would not be a pastor today, except that I belonged to the Augustana Lutheran Church where seminay education was tuition free.  A benefactor at Luther Seminary does provide tuition free seminary education for needy students.  I do believe that thewre should be some pre-qualifications.


FROM THE SCIENTIST:  Hiring is hard! And I don’t ask for roller skates  ===JACK:  I seem to recall how difficult "the education" was before you were deemed qualified for what you presently do.  ...and I must say that I have truly enjoyed my work.  Sometimes it meant going roller skating with the Youth Group. 


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  CLEVER MEDITATION ! LOVED IT! XO ===JACK:  Were you ever into skaing?  I seem to recall that it was once almost as popuilar as dancing.


FROM BB IN CHGO:  I went to my first/Catholic ordination a week ago as one of the deacons who has been preaching for us finally finished his studies.  They announced that he is one of only 3 black men to be ordained in the entire country this year.  Not sure whether the priesthood is any more difficult than a protestant ministerial vocation but what a shame that folks want St. Paul on roller skates.===JACK:  There's nothing wrong with wanting the BEST to serve as your pastor.  I'd rather have one on roller skates than one who spends the day kooing at a computer screen...(color doesn't matter!) 

 


No comments: