Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 6/19/19
“Intelligence without ambition is like a bird without wings.”  (Salvador Dali)  It’s said that people were sometimes more interested in Dali’s eccentricities…his flamboyant way of dressing and acting, his curly moustache.  I continue to be intrigued by his imagination…some call it his surrealism.  My favorite among his works shows Jesus on the cross, as seen from above.  Dali lovers can see the biggest collection of his work in Figueres (Spain), his hometown.   ;-) Jack


FROM LBP:  This week the kids found a fledgling cardinal in our yard. We learned that fledgling birds will take 2-5 days to fumble around on the ground until they are able to fly away. But the parents are watching and come care for it. I wonder how to extend Dali’s metaphor to fledglings ===JACK:  I like the saying, "If you can dream it, you can be it."  One of the children you babysat for, dreamed of flying and, eventually, became a pilot.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  That’s a favorite Dali painting of mine too.  I loved the Woody Allen – Paris my Love? Where the character time-travels back to the days of Dali and the impressionists ===JACK:  The impressionists were not on display yesterday, but it was a good visit, just the same.  We had lunch at the Polish Yacht Club afterward

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I am reading an interesting book "The other Alcott"; about the youngest sister May Alcott (Amy in Louisa's book "Little Women") who was an artist, and went to Paris
eventually and mentions her interactions with the impressionists such as Dali, Monet, Degas, and 
especially when her friend Mary Cassatt joined the Impressionist movement in art. Amy always had to deal with her famous writer older sister Louisa Mae Alcott, who was also quite wealthy for a woman of that  day; Most of the impressionists were not well accepted by the Art world in their day!  A good read!===JACK:  My sister recalls that as a youngster, she was always introduced as Jack's sister.  It was a special day when she was living in a community where I was not known, and I was introduced as Nancy's brother

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  We have a wonderful Dali Museum in St Petersburg! It started as a small one and then is now in a newer and much larger location!===JACK:  Are you a Dali-fan?===SHIRL:  Not really! I do like his mustache!===JACK:  I've never had a moustache, let alone a culy one like Dali's.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  His paintings fascinated me.  His thoughts processes must have been very interesting.  I had never seen anyone paint with such Imagination.===JACK:  Somehow I see Dali as too modern for a conservative like you.

FROM CAYOGA:  Good Morning!    This Friday is International Yoga day - perhaps you will "engage" in some form of practice. Love your winning words and on that note,  I had better put my wisdom into action and get busy===JACK:  i think that some of the yoga poses resemble human figures looking like Dali figures.

No comments: