Monday, June 03, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 6/3/19
“We speak of educating children.  Do we know that our children also educate us?”  (Lydia  Sigourney)  Yes, children can be teachers, too.  Sometimes we seem to forget what it’s like to be a child…how to be carefree, and not to worry so much about tomorrow…how to forgive and not hold grudges…how to be creative (Let’s build a fort – Let’s invite the dog to our tea party – Here, let me share this with you).  Has some child been a teacher for you?   ;-)  Jack


FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Absolutely!  Their faith is amazing!===JACK:  Maybe it's not in this context, but I like the Bible verse: "A little child shall lead them."

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Good old “King & I” – by your students, you’ll be taught.  As ever, I agree with you; they do educate us often and have much to contribute.  On the other hand, I am not so sure childhood is carefree any more.  Children are exposed to so much now that some of the magic of our youth seems lost on them.  Helicopter parenting and supervision often rob them of the opportunity to figure things out for themselves and engage their boundless imagination.  Gosh I sound pessimistic.===JACK:  Sometimes we need to be realistic, so that sense I agree with you.  But I do think that (as the old songs puts it...) "You (first) gotta accent-u-ate the positive and elim-i-nate the negative."===BB:  When you put the old songs out there I really like it and remember the one you just cited so well.  Lately I’ve been taking pictures of hymns during service that I like so I can enjoy remembering during the week. This weeks was “You are Mine”!===JACK:  We used to sing this one in Sunday School...
I am Thine, O Lord, I have heard Thy voice,    And it told Thy love to me;
But I long to rise in the arms of faith,    And be closer drawn to Thee.
  Draw me nearer, nearer, blessed Lord,    To the cross where Thou hast died;
Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer, blessed Lord,      To Thy precious, bleeding side.
Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer, blessed Lord,      To Thy precious, bleeding side.
(I don't know that we thought much about precious bleeding side.)

FROM SUNSHINE:  I have always been uncomfortable with the word "teacher" because I would invariably learn more in the classroom than the so called "students."===JACK:  I guess that since you've been both a student and a teacher (and now a teacher emeritus) you certainly have the credentials for your comments.  I just know that you taught me a lot about design.

FROM ANNE McCl  I think of Anne Marie, about seven years old.  She asked me something and I replied that I did not care.  Anne Marie replied "You do care , Grandma.  You just don't mind."  I loved it and I agreed. (This from the English major Grandma.) I am not delving into commas here.
Anne Marie graduated from U of M in 2014 with highest honors in English.  Working for a start up in Chicago,  I am sure she still teaches without  any tone of condescension.  Perhaps it is because she was born on the feast of St. John the Baptist.  ===JACK:  No wonder she got honors in English.  As for grades, my grandchildren are "smarter" than I was at their age (Maybe even now).

No comments: