Friday, July 07, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 7/7/17
“A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty.”  (Unknown)  My wife still has the book, Grimm’s Fairy Tales, which her father gave to her after one of his business trips.  Also important are the letters he wrote to her when he was away.  What things have you saved since childhood that bring back pleasant memories?  And, when adding up riches, don’t forget those who care about you…especially God!      ;-)  Jack

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  For years I had my Nancy Drew collection of mystery books, and a scrapbook of all the "goings on" during my school years! A few years ago Mrs Hultgren sent me the program of our High School graduation (Her husband was principal of John Deere Jr High, and they were our neighbors in Moline)...I still look at it and remember singing the duet "Gay Butterfly" with my twin (very operatic!) that night, and received the "Outstanding Music Award" for that class...sweet memories now. As V.Pres I got to bring greetings, Whoop, Whoop, big deal! Ha!  And Yes, my husband was that kind of  rich man with his four children, especially his baby girl, but the boys as well. Family is the greatest blessing!!====JACK:  I remember when the Hultgrens were dating.  Big deal!  He was one of my teachers at John Deere.  As times change, I don't suppose the school would put on "Gay Butterfly" these days.  The age of innocence.!

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  God thoughts.  Yesterday a got an email from a guy I met at my first duty station in 1960. We have kept in touch via email for some 20 years. His wife had just died in his last mail. Some things are hard to accept, but I can more easily because of what our Lord has promised us.====JACK:  The hymn, "O God, Our Help" has this stanza...Time, like an ever-rolling stream,    Bears all its sons away;  They fly forgotten, as a dream    Dies at the opening day...While death comes to all, God is our help, our hope!

FROM RVB:  That's true wisdom!  On the 4th, Amara was over but I didn't hold her. While Crystal was holding her she continuously gazed into my eyes and watched me among 5 others at the table. Although Crystal made a point of it, I knew it was because I had begun reading with her the Lord's Prayer and praying with her on my lap on early Saturday mornings. Until she is baptized I also have been making the sign of the cross on her forehead.  Thanks for your encouragement and wisdom! ====JACK:  Sometimes God's gifts to us come in unexpected packages, at unexpected times.  One of the hymns that is often sung out of the ELCA Hymnal is this one by John Ylvisaker...  You can hear it on YouTube...Borning Cry

"I was there to hear your borning cry,
I'll be there when you are old.
I rejoiced the day you were baptized,
to see your life unfold.
I was there when you were but a child,
with a faith to suit you well;
In a blaze of light you wandered off
to find where demons dwell."

"When you heard the wonder of the Word
I was there to cheer you on;
You were raised to praise the living Lord,
to whom you now belong.
If you find someone to share your time
and you join your hearts as one,
I'll be there to make your verses rhyme
from dusk 'till rising sun."
In the middle ages of your life,
not too old, no longer young,
I'll be there to guide you through the night,
complete what I've begun.
When the evening gently closes in,
and you shut your weary eyes,
I'll be there as I have always been
with just one more surprise."

"I was there to hear your borning cry,
I'll be there when you are old.
I rejoiced the day you were baptized,
to see your life unfold."

FROM KANSAN DON:  My most comical discovery was a letter from my Aunt written days after I was born.  It was from "Uncle Miriam" to "Little Niece Donald.”  (I didn’t know that about myself!)  Miriam was 12 years old.  Swedish was the language at home, but she tried English for her first nephew.  You may know her.  She was the widow of Carl Manfred and celebrated her 100th birthday in May.  We’ve had a good laugh.====JACK:  I think that ,ost Americans are missing out when only one language is spoken in the home.  BTW, in our community's high school, over 60 different languages are spoken in the homes of the students.  I doubt that one of them is Swedish.

FROM BB:  Always loved Mary and appreciate your sharing the story about her father.  Thanks! ====JACK:  Her father was also a very good singer and soloist.  She has a CD of him singing songs, including I Walked Today Where Jesus Walked and There Is A Balm In Gilead.  There's also a CD of her father and mother singing a duet.  Priceless!




No comments: