Monday, August 24, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 8/24/15
“I will either find a way or make one.”  (Hannibal)  One of the greatest military strategists of all time was Hannibal.  Do you recall reading about how he made a surprise invasion of Italy, leading troops and elephants (yes, elephants) through the northern Alps.  He found a way.  Are you looking for a way…some solution?  I heard Schuller preach:  “When faced with a mountain, I will climb over, I will find a path through, I will tunnel under, I will not quit.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN: Schuller pretty much checked out in a not overwhelming way.====JACK:  It only goes to show that perfection is an elusive goal.  Give the man credit.  He did do some amazing things.  Ultimately, God will be the judge of him as well as the judge of us all.  Amazing Grace!====JOHN:  I am not a Schuller fan.    I think his teaching eliminates the power of sin and that has been a major failure of the church in the last 200 years.  Only then does Grace become necessary and such a blessing in life.    Without that recognition, Christian Ethics is undermined... think of A. D. Mattson ....his enphasis upon the prophetic message has virtually disappeared....much to the detriment of the faith.====JACK:  If I take away the Schuller ascription, would you buy into the words?  I'm sure that you're not one who would quit, just because there's an obstacle.  East Moliners aren't raised that way.====JOHN:  I am not a quitter....but, sometimes that can be the smart thing to do...if one has set out on the wrong course....I fear words like "always" and " never". ====JACK:  One of my heroes, Vince Lombardi, said, "Winners never quit, and quitters never win."
====JOHN:  Vince Lombardi is dead.   Does that mean he quit?    Only God wins forever...we have to hop on his bandwagon and QUIT trying to do it by ourselves.

FROM MAMA CASS:  Interesting topic today since I'm on business travel and my rental car won't start. I'm trying to find a way to get to work as I wait for Roadside Assistance.====JACK:  Now, if Roadside Service doesn't show up, hitchhiking could be the next strategy.  Have you ever done that before?====CASS:  No. I don't think that's safe.====JACK:  When I was a fraternity pledge we were dressed in convict garb and dropped off in the middle of the night out on a country road.  Finally one car appeared, and we hitchhiked a ride with him.  What a ride!  From the backseat, I saw the speedometer.  100 mph!  And, the driver was drunk.  Yes, in that case, thumbing a ride was DEFINITELY not safe!

FROM TARMART REV:  Onward and Upward!!====JACK:  Have you sung the hymn, We're Marching to Zion?  One line says that "We're marching upward to Zion."  In Sunday School we used to march around singing that song.====REV:  ...btw, did a little marching to that chorus as well!! ====JACK:  Sunday School was fun for me.

FROM GT IN NY:  Great and timely message for me today.====JACK:  Sometimes the elephant is not in the Alps; it's in our way and needs moving.  I saw a picture of a little boy pulling on an elephant's trunk while his sister was pulling on the tail.  I'll glad that today's WWs helped you.

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  For over 40 years I have used this exact WW including Schuller's in my sales seminars. None better than this one phrase of determination.  Thanks for reminding me. ====JACK:  We both conduct sales seminars...you in your way, and me, in mine.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Explorer Benjamin Morrell puts it this way: "Morale is when your hands  and feet keep on working, when your head says it can't be done"... our predecessors used say, "there's more than one way to skin a cat"! (Or at least some of MY relatives said this...) Anyway, good message  to remember: Persevere to the end!====JACK:  My wife's sister has a husband who can do "anything."  In all of their years of marriage, they've never had a repairman come to the house.  He's even done the roofing and siding and inside remodeling of the kitchen...a modern Hannibal.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  What an optimist!  My friend 92 year old Gertie, loves to travel, as do we.  Her attitude was...eat peanut butter sandwiches and save money for her trips.  It was always "full speed ahead" for Gertie.  She reminded me of Hannibal quite often.  I was her church's secretary and she came in often to help out.  But you'd better have something for her to do or she'd find something!  She was an eternal optimist!====JACK:  "Ball of fire" is another term describing that kind of person.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  Like.


No comments: