Thursday, August 20, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 8/20/15
“We should not judge until we see clearly; and when we see clearly, we will not judge.”  (G.D. Gregg)  The Myers-Briggs Personality Assessment has a section which gauges whether you are the judging type: like things decided; like to get work done; like things planned and orderly.  Or, are you the perceiving type:  like flexibility, spontaneity; open to new information; like to understand rather than organize.  Are you a judge or a perceiver?  I am a…!    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  For my money, Myers-Briggs over categorizes people.    Why can't one be flexible and open and at the same time make decisions which lead to action?     Both/And rather than Either/Or.====JACK:  Into what category do suppose M-B (or you) would put Kierkegaard?====JOHN:  I don't know about SK....I know that at Augie Sem, they had me in two contradictory categories.   I pointed that out to them....they weren't thrilled about that.====JACK:  The song line that comes to mind when thinking of you and those at the Sem..."Don't mess with Mister In-Between!"

FROM ONE OF THE JUDGES:  I love this one! Be well today and enjoy life!!!  Off to work I go... Must Judge.====JACK:  The hard part of judging, to me, is the gray area...but the public expects a decision to be made.  Do you remember the OT story (1 Chronicles 1) of God coming to Solomon in a dream...?  "Whatever you ask of me, I shall give."  (If God were to make you that offer, what would you want?)  Solomon, the judge, replied, "God, give me wisdom and knowledge."  That appears to be a good prayer to use as you begin your day.

FROM TARMART REV:  ...most likely, judging type 0;-/====JACK:  I beg to differ!

FROM THE BEE  I meant to tell you that I use Myers-Briggs evaluations everyday its limited in some ways but it is surprisingly useful.  That probably tells you what kind of person I am. ====JACK:  I don't need a M-B for that.

FROM JAYBEE:  You’re an exclamation point? ;>)  I’m a “J” who has learned how to be more flexible. As someone I used to work with would say “focus on what you can control.” Or, “know your limits and honor others’ gifts.”====JACK:  "J" people are sometimes called, Persnickety.  How long has it been since you've heard, or used, that word?  For me, there has to be a 3rd category.  ====JAYBEE:  How about an M – in the middle of J and P? Mellow?====JACK:  I like that.

FROM BB: J…for sure.====JACK:  No spontaneity?  Maybe, just a little bit?

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  I'm ambidextrous, to fit the occasion.====JACK:  By trying to be "both/and" reminds me of the Bible verse..."But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!"  Do remember the major league pitcher who was ambidextrous?  His name was Luke Warm.

FROM DR JUDY:  Love this quote!! Thank you!====JACK:  Do you ever have trouble pre-judging, jumping to conclusions?  We who are in the listening business have to work at being better listeners.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I love that song and I love to fly.  Does your grandson work for an airline? Have you read The Wright Brothers? I cannot remember my first flight.  It was supposed to be from Washington to Moline in 1954, but all the flights were grounded because of a huge snowstorm.  I suppose it was flying to NYC for my first trip to Europe in April 1954.  It was fun working for Eastern Airlines and Continental Airlines part time after staying at home for 20 years with the family and doing lots of volunteer work.====JACK:  Jets, mega-planes and mergers have certainly changed the flying landscape.  G-son Jason is a hospital administrator and does pleasure flying.

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  A JUDGE!====JACK:  Mr In-Between

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  BILL USED MYERS-BRIGGS IN HIS PRE-MARITAL COUNSELING.  HE FOUND IT HELPFUL.. I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT I TESTED OUT AS; EXTROVERT PLUS SOMETHING OR OTHER....I LIKE THIS SAYING WHICH WOULD SEE TO BE TRUE...LIKE DON'T JUDGE UNTIL YOU'VE WALKED A MILE IN MY MOCCASINS. ..JESUS SAID WE AREN'T TO JUDGE, BUT HE DID TELL US TO  BE FRUIT INSPECTORS..! ====JACK:  Fruit Inspectors?  "By their fruits you shall know them."  I like it!

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  if that is the test i think it is, i am 3% of population...====JACK:  M-B says that 3% is, what?  It was interesting to Google..."3% of the American population is...."

No comments: