Monday, August 10, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 8/10/15
“The past, the present, the future are really only one; they are today.”  (Harriet Beecher Stowe)  Harriet was a famous abolitionist and, in 1851, wrote, “Uncle Tom’s Cabin.”  It was originally titled, “The Man That Was a Thing.”  It underscored her feelings about slavery.  When she met Pres Lincoln years later, he greeted her by saying, “So you’re the little woman who wrote the book that started this great war.”  Can you remember reading her book?    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I have "Oncle Tom's Stuga" on my bookshelf.  It was my Grandmother's book.====JACK:  I smiled out loud at your response.  I wonder if Google knows how many languages that book has been translated into?  (Answer: Over 60)

FROM TARMART REV:  My reading past and present is in short order fashion . . . small articles mainly, getting to the point rather quickly and missing out of the greater degree of intelligence. 0;-/ ====JACK:  When Uncle Tom's Cabin was first published, it sold more copies than any other book...except the Bible.  The Bible is still the best-selling book of all time, so you seem to be reading that which is popular.====REV:  Thanks, Jack for your comforting words . . . My attention span for reading entire books has always been a personal challenge.====JACK:  One year, in our church, we gave out copies of the Bible that were divided into daily segments, so that the Bible could be completely read in a year.  I'm sure that you've read "The Book" without needing such a help. ====REV:  Through it several times . . . I was living in WB when you promoted reading the Bible through during the year . . . those members I was familiar with riding the van were surprised at reading the judgments of God carried out in the OT . . . Made it for some interesting conversation in the van . . . I thought it as a good promotion on your part.====JACK:  You might want to read Rob Bell's book, "What We Talk About When We Talk About God."  That's one that you might read from beginning to end.  Let me know.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  You seem to always have good WWs. Thanx.====JACK:  I'm glad that you like the past and the present WWs.  The future is yet to come.  How about..."The way we see problems is the problem."?====GEORGE: Expand on that. The problem quite often is the person. ====JACK:  As I alluded...That's a future Winning Words.

FROM LBP IN PLYMOUTH:  Actually, I never have. Perhaps that should go on a reading list....
I like the quote though. A nice way to start today.====JACK:  Uncle Tom's Cabin was popular in its day, because it related to current events.  Today's reader might be someone whose interest would be in history.  I find it interesting that the book, sympathetic to abolitionism, introduced two words that have now become politically incorrect...mammy and pickaninny.  Perhaps ironic is the right term.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Neither Gary or I can remember (reading it).  I believe I will get a copy for my Nook or buy a copy.  Kimberly home-schools and I bet she has a copy.  A good book for yesterday, today and tomorrow.  Thanks for these good "Winning Words."====JACK:  I was especially struck by the alternate title: The Man That Was a Thing.  There's a problem in whatever age when we see people as things.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I'D NEVER SEEN THAT QUOTE BY HBS;  I  READ HER BOOK WHEN I PORTRAYED MRS. ANNA IN "THE KING AND I" (SPRINGFIELD MJNI OPERA, 1970 OR 71). IT WAS HIGHLIGHTED IN THE MUSICAL...I LIKE THIS QUOTE! MUCH TRUTH IN IT!====JACK:  I like another quote...Today is the first day of the rest of your life. ====OAKS:  RIGHT...AND "TODAY YOU ARE YOUNGER THAN YOU'LL EVER BE AGAIN!"====JACK:  I notice that when I look at pictures from the past, even those from a couple of years ago.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Its terrible the way the black man was treated.  Especially because for so long they weren't even considered people but property.  Women were considered property either. ====JACK:  Slavery has gone, but racism lives on.  Do remember singing the Sunday School song..."Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world etc."====JUDY:  There's still slavery all over the world.  The sex trade is slavery, some tribes in Africa and South America still make slaves of their enemies, and some people are slaves to money, their jobs and some even by their spouses.

FROM JT IN MINNESOTA:  I reread her book a few weeks ago.  It was good and I certainly can see why it was influential at the time of the Civil War.  She was able to express her feelings.====JACK:  How did you come to read that so recently?  Sometimes we forget that the events of the past were once current events...like what's happening in the world today.

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  I've just finished reading Go Set A Watchman (Isaiah 26.1.6). I liked the book , and as so many others, I'm amazed and confounded by the fact that it was written before To Kill The Mockingbird. I liked the perspective, the paroxysm of change not easily dismissed. I'd recommend both books in addition to Uncle Tom's Cabin, which I read many years ago...and more than once.====JACK:  The mind is a lot like clothing.  The have to change it once in a while... or else.

 


1 comment:

SBP said...

I've just finished reading Go Set A Watchman (Isaiah 26.1.6). I liked the book , and as so many others, I'm amazed and confounded by the fact that it was written before To Kill The Mockingbird. I liked the perspective, the paroxysm of change not easily dismissed. I'd recommend both books in addition to Uncle Tom's Cabin, which I read many years ago...and more than once.