Monday, February 28, 2011

Winning Words 2/28/11
“Never give in and never give up.” (Hubert Humphrey) “The Happy Warrior,” as HHH was called, was a consistent political fighter for “the underdog.” I remember meeting him in Wisconsin when he was running for president against Nixon. Of course, he lost the election, but he never gave up on his desire to be a public voice for so many whose voices didn’t seem to matter. ;-) Jack

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: Your email is just what I needed to hear this morning FROM JACK: Much obliged! Obliged...now there's a word you don't hear much anymore.

FROM PL IN MICHIGAN: I loved HH!!! FROM JACK: I like his middle name...Horatio (loyal, supportive, rational) from Shakespeare's "Hamlet." Not only is it apropos, but he sounds good, too. Hubert Horatio Humphrey. MORE FROM PL: We need a guy like him, today..don't you think? FROM JACK: Every age needs someone like that.

FROM MOLINER CF: I'll never forget the Democratic Convention where Jimmy Carter introduced him as Hubert Horatio Hornblower FROM JACK: I wonder if he did that on purpose. I note that he quickly changed it to, Humphrey.

FROM PRHS IN ILLINOIS: Jack, did you happen to get his unique autograph? It was four vertical lines and one horizontal line. Quick and easy. FROM JACK: No I didn't get an autograph, but I practiced doing it his way, and I think I could forge it, if I had too.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: His ideas seem pretty good today... FROM JACK: Yes, especially speaking up for those whose voices don't seem to be heard.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I felt that Hubert Humphrey never got his "due". He was an admirable man of character, but the times we had come through apparently reflected on him in a negative way. I have seen situations where it would be the better part of wisdom to give in, but not to give up! As Ralph Waldo Emerson observed, "For every minute you are angry, you lose sixty seconds of happiness". Something to ponder! FROM JACK: It's like Kenny Rogers sings: "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em." I think HHH would have made a good president, but we'll never know.


No comments: