Friday, February 25, 2011

Winning Words 2/25/11
“There are 3 rules regarding material possessions: Make all you can. Save all you can. Give all you can.” (John Wesley – Sent by Phil Hemke) JW was one of the founders of Methodism...doing things (especially religious stuff) in a methodical way. There’s something to be said for that. His “method” for handing personal possessions is one that is worth considering by people of all faiths. ;-) Jack

FROM TL IN MICHIGAN: Jack, thank you for your daily nourishment! I appreciate you and your Ministry. Thanks be to God! FROM JACK: I appreciate your response regarding something that I enjoy doing.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: The most important decision we made in our 1st year of marriage was to tithe. FROM JACK: I'm sure that you made other important marriage decisions, too. Sometimes we just let our decisions evolve. Someone has said that we should fall in love "head first."

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I've already spent some time thinking about my possessions today--need to
conquer some of the clutter in our house here, cleaning you know. Taking these WW to heart. They hit the nail on the head. I can do better. Thanks once again!!!!! FROM JACK: Methodism isn't all bad!

FROM JT IN MINNESOTA: How appropriate were your winning words today. I spent a portion of my day at city hall where a number of organizations, I suppose about 25 of them, were competing for federal funds that come to the city. I was with the Senior Board from the senior center. It was an interesting debate. I hope we get a portion of the funding. a significant fact of our senior center is that 300 to 500 persons use the center every day. There is a great variety of actitivities going on. I'm on the board but I also volunteer to facilitate a support group for persons with memory loss and their care givers. That is one of the many actitivities that occur there. Money is very scarce this year. The senior center is located in the old vacated airport building. It has been remodeled and fixed up and works well. And you are right it is how our bread is buttered that affects our choices. FROM JACK: The government is meant to supply a safety net for those who need help. People like you and the other Senior Board members, who truly "care," are the ones who make a difference in the lives of the needy. That caring will continue on, regardless of funding. Keep on truckin'. FROM SENIOR ADVOCATE AM IN MICHIGAN: The letter from the board member serving seniors brought so many thoughts to mind; competition for government dollars, coordination between service groups, outreach information to seniors, seniors responsibility seeking information and supporting senior services. To paraphrase Mother Theresa we cannot all do great things but we can do small things well. Thanks to the board member for his/her participation.

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN: Yes, this deserves much consideration, especially since it is still early in the year. I will ponder what I can do/change to live more closely to this. My dad, who is my rock and mentor, lives by this. FROM JACK: A mentor is one who cares enough about us to show us a "better" way.

FROM PRBG IN MICHIGAN: Thanks for today’s WW. It strikes me as being particularly relevant, in light of Sunday’s words of Jesus from Matthew; you cannot serve God and wealth. FROM JACK: We read in the Bible that, "The Lord loves a cheerful giver." I like the modern translation which reads, "The Lord loves the one who gives hilariously."

FROM DP IN MINNESOTA: I like these winning words. They describe how I think,esp. now in my later years, when the needs of people here and abroad are so great, and I need only a little food, stamps, gas for my car, plus my little apartment. FROM JACK: By comparison, we have so much when we have all we need. "Give one thing more, O Lord....a grateful heart."

FROM BF IN MICHIGAN: My wife's grand father once said: make all you can, put it in a can, then sit on the can. FROM JACK: I've heard that some people have gotten some great ideas while sitting on the can.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: That is concise and precise! What we are called to do...in other words don't do a lot of splurging on ones self, eh? FROM JACK: I'm glad that I learned the lesson of saving and not spending... everything. Someone also taught me the lesson giving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've already spent some time thinking about my possessions today--need to conquer some of the clutter in our house here, cleaning you know. Taking these WW to heart. They hit the nail on the head. I can do better. Thanks once again!!!!!
S.H. in MI