Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Winning Words 2/16/11
“You can take as much as you can from the generation that has preceded you, but then it’s up to you to make something new.” (Jackson Browne) Someone from a younger generation (the older generation seems to have vanished) recently introduced me to JB, through the words of “Doctor my eyes.” I went and read more about Jackson and his life and his songs. I learned something new. ;-) Jack

FROM RP IN MICHIGAN: Nice thoughts for the day. I've been a fan of JB since the early 70's. FROM JACK: I like it when somebody helps me to get out of the "rut." Broadening one's view is part of the educational process. I remember when you introduced me to the music of Dennis Coffey.

FROM MF IN MICHIGAN: One of my favorites, I used to have Jackson Browne cassettes to listen to while driving on long trips... fond memories. Guess I better get going on making something new. FROM JACK: Today's WWs are meant to encourage us not to be afraid of generations other than our own, younger and older. We can learn something from them.

FROM CZB IN COLORADO: I saw him in concert last summer at Red Rocks. He is still a great talent. Red Rocks is a gorgeous outdoor amphitheater cut into the rocks in Colorado. FROM JACK: I checked out Red Rocks. You are right...a great venue for concerts. I'll have to add it to "the bucket list."

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: He certainly has had an interesting life, to say the least.It's hard to pigeon-hole generations, don't you think? Have you read Red, White, and Ted by Ted Nugent? FROM JACK: Not only generations, but people are pigeon-holed. The "Motor City Mad Man" is one that I've p-h'd. You've caused me to take a second look. BTW, I think that "Ted, White and Blue" is by and about Ted Dekker.

FROM MV IN MICHIGAN: One of my favorite artists. I first saw him at Pine Knob theater in the 70’s. FROM JACK: I knew of Pine Knob at that time. How come it took me so long to know more about Jackson Browne? Maybe I was still listening to Glenn Miller LPs. MORE FROM MV: “Doctor My Eyes” was the first song I knew from him. He played as a warm up singer for America in ’73-’75. He is in there, in my opinion, as one of the great folk singers with James Taylor, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Dan Fogelberg, et al.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH: Have seen him several times in concert, most recently at Red Rocks in
Colorado. I used to call (and occasionally still do) my son Jackson Browne, or “JB”. When he would act up during a soccer game. FROM JACK: You're the second one of my "friends" who went to a JB concert at Red Rocks.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I think each generation thinks that everything has been invented, discovered, etc. before, and what can they do? But we seem to build ever higher, and dig ever deeper climbing on the shoulders of those who have gone before. I don't know Mr. Browne...suppose I should access the internet and learn something new, too! FROM JACK: I don't think that JB would respond to Mr. Browne. Ask your children if they know of Jackson Browne, and I think that you'll get a positive response. You seem to be a Big Band sort of person. Check out some Browne music...especially the lyrics.

No comments: