Friday, February 11, 2011

Winning Words 2/11/11
“If you have health, you will probably be happy, and if you have health and happiness, you have all the wealth you really need, even if it’s not all you want.” (Elbert Hubbard) While channel-flipping I happened upon the movie, “The Bucket List.” I stopped and watched. I was particularly interested in the questions, “Have you had joy in your life? Have you brought joy to others?” ;-) Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON: I've found that joy in life often comes from people from whom we hadn't expected it, or from situations that we hadn't predicted. Regarding giving joy to others, I believe we have probably imparted joy to people without ever knowing it. Some incidents that may not mean anything personally can actually bring joy to others. FROM JACK: The unexpected blessing is sometimes the best kind.

FROM TS IN MICHIGAN: As you know, Jack, many people do everything for others; many do nothing. I told my kids, "Make a difference. Make the world a better place as a result of you having been here." It appears that they have both listened. FROM JACK: It would be a better world if more parents did as you did, if more kids listened and acted as yours did. You are indeed blessed.

FROM MK IN MICHIGAN: Yes and I sure hope I have! FROM JACK: If it's a satisfaction to you....you have!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: What wonderful words. You and I know how precious just being able walk, go up and down stairs, and get up from a chair without pain. Health is a huge blessing. And to be happy to be healthy is truly a blessing. As for having joy and bringing joy, it would be a true blessing to be able to say yes to both. Yes! FROM JACK: Some people wish that they'd win the lottery...when they already possess things far more valuable. "Who could wish for anything more?"

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I can say "yes" to both of those questions. In fact, Rick and I just returned from driving to MN, through the UP, where we were with my Aunt, Mother's sister, to observe her 96th birthday! Getting and giving joy! Does it ever end? FROM JACK: As your mother now knows, "It only gets better!"

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: Amen! This theme is everywhere. Usually it is stated "The most important things are not things...." FROM JACK: Good advice from the Sermon on the Mount: "Lay not up for yourselves treasures on earth....but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven."

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Was a good movie FROM JACK: When it first came out, several people said that I should see it. Others kept talking about "Bucket Lists." Now, I know what they were talking about. MORE FROM JON: Guess it has a more folksy appeal than "goals for life list" FROM JACK: It's called, putting words into action. For example, the 10 Commandments are more than words.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: We must have been channel-flipping at the same time! FROM JACK: I like cable and the remote control.

FROM INDY GENIE: A big "YES" to the first part of the question and a big "I SURE HOPE SO" to the second!
FROM JACK: It takes others to answer the 2nd question. The answer is, "Yes!"

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Only then do you get happiness yourself. A great movie. Will watch it again. FROM JACK: Jack Nicholson seemed perfect for his part. If you were in the movies (not this one), what character would you be? MORE FROM CJL: I'd be
Atticus in "To kill a mocking bird". He was a good parent, a good lawyer, and he didn't win them all, but he gave his best!

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I loved that movie, and after I saw it, I bought a tiny enameled bucket for each person, and had my senior S.S. class make out a bucket list. and try to fulfill the items on the list. We enjoyed talking about the lists, and had fun doing it. I'm trying to think of the name of the multi-millionaire from N.Y. that Bill talked to years ago, who said to him, "We spend the first half of our lives ruining our health, to gain our wealth, and the last half of life, spending our wealth to regain our health." ~! He was well-known at the time, but right now I can't bring it up!! :-( FROM JACK: Why don't you ask one of those persons if they still have their bucket and if any items have been removed? I imagine you had a bucket for yourself. MORE FROM BLAZING OAKS: We do talk about that from time to time...most have done at least half of their "wish list"...I have fulfilled a few of mine as well, tho still haven't gotten to Italy or Ireland, countries I think I would enjoy touring! One of my wishes was to get to CA to visit the Giant Redwoods(Sequoias) in Yosemite Nat'l. Park. Awesome! In the greenhouse were small saplings with a sign on them, "Come back in 435 years when we will be middle-aged"..:-) I find I am less inclined to leave the country, as I get older. However I have seen far more of the world than I ever dreamed of when I was growing up in a small town in IL! FROM JACK: What if you filled your bucket with all of the great experiences you have had? I'm reminded of the little girl who was sitting on the beach scooping water into a pail. "What are you doing?" she was asked. She replied with a smile, "I'm putting the ocean into my pail."

No comments: