Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Winning Words 2/23/11
“Don’t think you can’t. Think you can!” (Charles Inge) Have you heard any good optimist/pessimist jokes lately? “The optimist sees the light, while the pessimist tries to blow it out.” I became a charter member of the Optimist Club in my community, because optimism is a part of my nature. That doesn’t mean that I’m always optimistic, but I try, and I succeed…most of the time. How about you? ;-) Jack

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: Yes! FROM JACK: We must keep on trying (and truckin').

FROM PASTY PAT: I always thought I was basically an optimist but I'm finding it increasingly difficult. I received disturbing news this morning from an EA currently serving in Yanoun, about one of our villages. I know these families --- have eaten in their homes and held their newborn babies. We witnessed their 2nd demolition when we returned for a visit in Feb. of 2010, the third was in Dec. and this is the fourth. We will be seeing them again in April. What do we say to them? FROM JACK: This isn't about optimism; it's about hope and faith. Our belief in a God who loves and cares in a personal way, fuels our hope, which is reason for optimism. "I believe; help my unbelief" were the words of a discouraged father spoken to Jesus. Then, the miracle happened.

FROM MK IN MICHIGAN: I truly feel Blessed. Is that optimism? FROM JACK: I call it: faith, belief, trust! Because we have that within ourselves, optimism is the byproduct. However, we need to regularly "Count our blessings!"

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: Almost always... I just try to see a brighter day ahead every day, in every
circumstance... That is a gift from God, I believe, because I don't really ever remember having to TRY to be optimistic. Thank you, Lord, for the gift of optimism at birth and faith much later!! FROM JACK: I recall hearing, from you, some of your story...and I know that there have been some "trying" times for you, as there have been for all of us. It's good that these can fade into the background, because of good things that have happened. And so, optimism becomes part of our life.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I'm an optimist but fearful I won't always be an optimist--who knows what adversities lie ahead. People I know who can witness and testify to God's goodness even in the midst of trajedies help me to sustain the faith. But, again, my life is not all lived yet and I consider the possibility that there may be something I'm not strong enough for. You and all your WW are a great light for me early each morning. Thanks for strengthening and building us up to see God's goodness in our world. FROM JACK: Optimism follows faith, and faith is something that we have to work at day by day. Even Jesus said that it wouldn't be easy to believe.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY: turn that frown upside down! FROM JACK:
It isn't any trouble
Just to S-M-I-L-E
It isn't any trouble
Just to S-M-I-L-E
So smile when you're in trouble,
It will vanish like a bubble
If you'll only take the trouble
Just to S-M-I-L-E

FROM MOLINER JT: If I wasn"t an Optimist I wouldn't be here today. FROM JACK: Besides your optimism: your guts....a wonderful mate....therapists and doctors....a loving and caring God.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: Can't never did anything. remember the "I CAN" can? FROM JACK: I thought that the Can Can was a dance.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: I am naturally optimistic. No one ever accomplished anything thinking they couldn't. Just think of the Olympic athletes. FROM JACK: I, too, think that I am naturally optimistic, but I'm not sure that I was "born" with that spirit. I'm trying to think of the people and situations that influenced me to have that attitude. I've come up with a few.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I think that I am a pretty optimistic person. I don't know about you, but at times I feel it is not the most popular way to be! Really goes against the grain of a really pessimistic person sometimes! They don't seem to think it can be for real. FROM JACK: Just like going to church regularly helps me to reinforce my faith, so my regular attendance at the Tuesday Optimist Club meetings helps reinforce my optimistic attitude. The people we associate with tend to help direct our thoughts and actions.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: Have you seen the "Urban Word" "chronoptomist"? I think the definition is someone who always thinks they have enough time to get everything done. Ooops, I just looked it up and their definition has a negative connotation (below) :)
"A person who always under estimates the time necessary to do something or get somewhere."
FROM JACK: I like that word...chronoptimist...It has a certain ring to it. I always try to be a little bit ahead of time for appointments...AND not late. I guess I'd be a chronrealist.

FROM MOLINER CF: Sometimes it's hard to drain the swamp when you are up to your hips in alligators. The optimist would say, Oh, what nice handbags these would make." FROM JACK: The pessimist would say, "The market for gator bags is probably going down, so I'd better get out of this swamp...FAST!

FROM PH ON THE WAY HOME FROM ARIZONA: good words today, Jack. thanks! we fly home this
afternoon to cold and snowy MN. it will be a bit of an adjustment. FROM JACK: The optimist says, "Oh, boy! This weather will be great. I'll get to go sledding again."

FROM DS IN SAN DIEGO: It's funny...always seems to be the people with more money than they could ever spend that say things like that. FROM JACK: I wonder who said, "Money isn't everything." It was probably someone who had a lot of money, but didn't have health or love. Or maybe it was someone who had love and nothing else mattered. MORE FROM DS: Yes, Yes....I agree with that version.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: So true! Some people have a real problem with loving themselves. I am asking for Prayer for my son who had a right hip replacement on Feb. 10, and now has been re-admitted to the hospital with what was diagnosed early this morning as MYRSA infection. We are devastated. Of all the prayers I uttered, the main one was please protect him from infection, (!) as it seems so common after hospital stays. Oh well! Am waiting to hear what the next step will now be, but am so sad this has happened. He was SO looking forward to walking without pain, and being able to hit the golf links this Spring and Summer....:-( FROM JACK: In my prayers, God knows what it is that I want, and then, I end by saying to God what it is that I "really" want...."Thy will be done." My prayer is added to yours.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: You can only live when you are an optimist; pessimists simply exist. FROM JACK: The life we live is a matter of the choices we make....most of the time.

FROM NK IN WISCONSIN: not as of late- at pc we're waiting to see what happens with Walkers budget repair bill here in Wi - and for the last 2 days and tom i'm covering all 180 beds ....let's just say I don't have a lot left to be optimistic about right now.....maybe in a few days. for now I'll just "keep on truckin." FROM JACK: Being optimistic doesn't mean being unrealistic. It's like the old saying, "When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade." Caring people like you will not stop caring about people because of the action of politicians. Keep on makin' lemonade.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm an optimist but fearful I won't always be an optimist--who knows what adversities lie ahead. People I know who can witness and testify to God's goodness even in the midst of trajedies help me to sustain the faith. But, again, my life is not all lived yet and I consider the possibility that there may be something I'm not strong enough for. You and all your WW are a great light for me early each morning. Thanks for strengthening and building us up to see God's goodness in our world.
S.H. in MI