Thursday, February 03, 2011

Winning Words 2/3/11
“Everyone who’s ever taken a shower has an idea. It’s the person who gets out and does something about it that makes the difference.” (Nolan Bushnell—founder of ATARI) The first computer game that I can remember playing was, PONG. I didn’t always win, but I really tried. I wonder if Nolan got his idea for PONG in the shower? What’s important is that he did something with the idea. ;-) Jack

FROM MOLINER CF: Early in my career I asked an "old" advertising man if he ever ran out of ideas and his response was "The more you have, the more you get." And he was right. Maybe he took lot of showers. I have a waterproof note pad in mine. FROM JACK: I get many of my "best" ideas while lying in bed.

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: This message is critical for people seeking to bring innovation to Michigan.
Historically, the difference between Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, etc is that these men moved on their inspirations. As you say they did something about it. (Funny you mention inspiration occuring in the shower because Napolean was noted for taking long baths. I wonder if his aspirations for conquest were birthed in the bath / shower as well??) FROM JACK: I even get "inspiration" as I read and respond to e-mails. Ideas seem to always be going on in my head.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: The shower isn't exactly my place for bright ideas....it's usually late at night. I keep a pad of paper and pen on my nightstand. Interesting! FROM JACK: Some people are said to have gotten ideas while visiting the outhouse. MORE FROM JUDY: Maybe that's where Newton "discovered" gravity but was just too embarrassed to tell everyone. An apple falling off the tree is much more glamorous.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Interesting!! I'm more apt to sing in the shower, and revel in the luxury of nice hot water. (Took a lot of cold showers in Dem Rep.of Congo, and tour of India! Even in Japan and Europe) He must have lingered a lot longer than I do: But of course the main idea is that he ACTED on his inventive ideas...where was Archimedes when he shouted "EUREKA!!"?? :-) I have to isolate myself without distractions to think of a creative or clever program idea. Once I have an idea, the details roll in...We all have our quirks, eh? FROM JACK: I wonder if a cold shower stimulated someone to come up with the invention of a hot shower? Ahhhhhhhhh!

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Found something on the internet http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/martin_luther
"Martin Luther suffered from chronic constipation and believed he received theological insights while seated on the toilet constructed of stone. Being full of it may have been due to a diet of worms or half a lifetime avoiding the poopacy in Rome." I knew there had been something about this in one of the biographies. FROM JACK: "They" say that if it's on the internet, it must be true. I read this story about Martin and his toilet-inspiration long befor there was an internet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read in one of the biographies about Martin Luther that he had a spiritual epithany in his WC, I think I remember that that means his water closet. I remember reading that--wish I could remember which biography it was in so could look it up again and see if my memory is right
S.H. in MI

Anonymous said...

Found something on the internet http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/martin_luther
"Martin Luther suffered from chronic constipation and believed he received theological insights while seated on the toilet constructed of stone. Being full of it may have been due to a diet of worms or half a lifetime avoiding the poopacy in Rome." I knew there had been something about this in one of the biographies.
S.H. in MI