Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Winning Words 2/15/11
“When people keep telling you that you can’t do something, you kind of want to do it.” (Margaret Chase Smith) Smith was the first woman elected to serve in both the House and the Senate. She was the first woman to be nominated for President. We often associate this quote with parent/teen conflict. But, I admire someone like MCS who sees an injustice and steps forward to meet it. ;-) Jack

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: Isn't that what kids do? FROM JACK: When I was a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child, I acted like a child, but when I became an adult, I tried to remember the things I learned as a child, and tried not to be so judgmental with regard to that generation.

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: Me too FROM JACK: One of my favorite "Twilight Zone" episodes is the one called, "Kick the Can," where some older people are able to do something they were told that they couldn't do.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: The surname "Smith" is going to provoke a response from me. I just learned that my old debate partner Dick Smith has Alzheimer's Disease....in the middle stages right now. That has bothered me since I heard it. He and I were partners for all four years of our tenure at Augie. We kind of reconnected later in our lives and got together several times with our wives on my trips to Chicago. He was far more conservative than was I but we never had a problem discussing either faith or politics or whatever. We knew from debate that there is always more than one good side to every issue It kills me that that wonderful mind is now blunted. I was struggling with that when I woke up this morning and looked out the window and saw a light in the school parking lot in the shape of a cross and then I realized that even tho there is no "cure" for Alzheimer's....there is a cure. Christ has come and all of these earthly menaces can be seen in that perspective. God be praised. FROM JACK: "That's what it's all about, Charlie Brown!" Thanks for sharing that personal reflection.

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: Thank You. I needed the encouragement this morning. FROM JACK: Winning Words are meant to be encouraging words (for the most part).

FROM MK IN MICHIGAN: Thanks for the winning words at the meeting yesterday. You always manage to
include everyone, and that is not always easy! Life just stinks sometimes! I have another person who would like your winning words. She has moved out of state. FROM JACK: "Into each life some rain must fall ... but too much is falling on me." Sometimes life seems so unfair. I read once that all sunshine makes a desert. We appreciate our friends who are with us in bad weather and good.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: MCS was a winner! She was probably amazed at the ever-widening doors of opportunity for women in recent years...but there had to be that FIRST one...first woman doctor (that was a fascinating read!), first woman in law school, first engineer, first woman clergyman, first astronaut...so many firsts in this past century! We are blessed! Yes some do take it as a challenge, when folks say "You can't do that!" :-) FROM JACK: I think I saw a note today that Pres Rutherford B. Hayes, on this day, signed a bill allowing women attorneys to argue before the Supreme Court. It was over 100 years later that Sandra Day O'Connor would be the first woman approved to be a Suipreme Court Justice. The glass ceiling has been cracked, but not broken. MORE FROM OAKS: Oh! We stayed the weekend at the Rutheford B.Hayes Home and museum a few years ago, when our good friend and a former parishioner, Roger Bridges (and wife), was the Executive there. He had previously been the Illinois state historian in Springfield. Yes, there is still a
need for women pioneers. There aren't many women clergy persons who have any kind of a sizeable church as Sr. Pastor!! And the pay is usually not comparable to men in similar positions, either. But we've come a long way, baby! FROM JACK: Things are changing for female pastors in the ELCA. I know of several who serve larger congregations. Good pastors are in demand, whatever the gender.

FROM PRFM IN ALABAMA: Some speak of people like this as stubborn . . . others would describe them as committed and determined! The Jack I know is very committed and very determined . . . that is why he gets so much accomplished. FROM JACK: I owe a lot to a lot of people.

FROM POPPY IN MOLINE: Like when my family was told I would never walk again. I've now gone to a cane.
FROM JACK: "I think I can, I think I can. I know I can!" ...and you did it! Congratulations.

No comments: