Friday, February 28, 2020

Jack’s Winning Words  2/28/20
“Tradition is the albatross around the neck of progress.”  (Bill Veeck)  Hall of Famer Bill Veeck thought tradition was hampering the progress of baseball, so he became an innovator – the exploding scoreboard, using 3’7” Eddie Gaedel as a pinch-hitter, 10-cent-beer night, 42-yr-old Satchel as a pitcher.  Veeck put fans in the seats.  Innovation can become an albatross, too.  I don’t want computers as umpires, or to determine strategy.  Take me out to the old ballgame.  ;-)  Jack  


FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Life has to be fun too.  He put the fun in baseball by adding fun in a sometimes boring game.  I love baseball but I’d rather play than watch.     Tradition is good sometimes but can be very stifling!  Sometimes we need to shake up traditions.===JACK:  I like to watch baseball when I'm close to the action and can see the players' faces.  My grandson's high school baseball team played a game at Comerica.  I was right up close, and it was more fun that sitting in the nosebleed section of a major league game.  Even more fun was when I actually played baseball.

FROM GUSTIE:  It is really fun to go to St. Paul Saint’s Baseball games.===JACK:  I went to a Saints  once, and a guy was taking a bath in the outfield, and a man was getting a haircut in an aisle near me.  The game was interesting, too.

FROM WILLMAR REV:  "Sing it, Jack-- I mean Harry Carey!! 0;-)===JACK:  I read that the guys who wrote, "Take me out to the ballgame," had never attended a ballgame.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Ah, yes....the good old days....when kids said yes ma’am and yes sir, families went to church together and fights were with fists instead of guns.===JACK:  Do you actually recall those days?  I hardly remember them.
FROM RS IN TEXAS:   

No comments: