Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 7/22/15
“For there was never a philosopher that could endure a toothache patiently.”  (Shakespeare)  I wonder if the philosopher Zeno ever had a toothache?  He’s said to be the founder of Stoicism, a belief which says that everything is part of a grand plan, so there’s no use complaining about hardship and pain.  The modern Stoic would say, “Just deal with it!”  I happen to like the words of Jesus, “Come to me, all you are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”  ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  I've fallen in love with that Heavenly Voice as well...Jesus Christ, that is!! ====JACK:  Regarding the voice of Jesus...Do you think he was a tenor, baritone or bass?

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  a little pain goes a long way...today or 3,000 years ago...pain is pain!====JACK:  Toothaches, caused by rotting teeth were a real problem is Shakespeare's day.  It was thought that inhaling another's bad breath could cause the plague.  No novocaine for extractions, either.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I think “cable news TV” can be substituted for a toothache in this WW.  I can’t say I have missed it in the past 9 months I’ve ignored it.  Miss it like a toothache.====JACK: Luke Appling, who once played for the Chicago White Sox, had the  nickname, "Old Aches and Pains," because he was always complaining about something.  I agree with your complaint about cable news, particularly the political commentary segments.  We need to be careful with how we spend our time.  It's such a limited commodity.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I would definitely go with Jesus' word.  As one who has had a toothache, I would receive no comfort with Zeno's words!====JACK:  I wonder if Jesus ever had a toothache.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  HA! BILL WAS FOND OF QUOTING ZENO'S "THE MASSES ARE ASSES; THE FEW SHALL ALWAYS RULE"...HE GREATLY ENJOYED HIS PHILOSOPHY CLASSES AT AUGIE, AS YOU SEEM TO HAVE. I MISSED OUT ON THAT!====JACK:  Zeno's words help us to understand politics, even thought we might not like to face up to the seeming reality of it.  I would like to use the quote as a Winning Words someday, but I have a hard time seeing the positive message in it.  Does the word, wry, describe it?  I happen to think that courses in philosophy are needed for pastors to better understand the religion they are called to interpret.


No comments: