Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 7/21/15
“Come over, friend!  Sit down here.”  (Ruth 4:1)  If you were to choose someone to come and sit beside you for a spell and just chat, who would that be?  Chances are, it’d be an old friend or some relative from your past.  Maybe I’m old-fashioned, but I think that life would be more interesting if there were more face to face talkin’ and less faceless textin’.  I’m not a luddite; I just happen to like sitting down with friends and talking about stuff.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TRIHARDER:  "Set a spell, take your shoes off. Y'all come back now, here?"====JACK:  That sounds like dialog from Green Acres or The Andy Griffith Show.====TH:  Close. The closing theme from The Beverly Hillbillies. I always thought it was a back-woods Southern greeting/goodbye.====JACK:  Somehow I can't picture you as a fan of the BHs, unless it was because of Elly Mae.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I would choose Anselm...and mainly shut up and listen to him....might ask a question or two.====JACK:  What language would be used in your conversation...English, Swedish, or French?====JOHN:  I don't know if he spoke any form of English even though he was Archbishop of Canterbury....under William Rufus....I probably would have to relearn my Latin.    It would be worth it!====JACK:  I wonder how he would respond when you explained how God is thought of in today's society.====JOHN:  I think he would believe we are deluded by our own sense of self importance.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Couldn't agree more.  Texting and emailing tends to make people "faceless."  No facial expressions or body language to see.====JACK:  I've read that "texters" are candidates for hands and neck problems in the future, because of the continual use of the thumbs and the constant bending down of the neck.====RS:  I can believe that - just like so much typing led to carpal tunnel syndrome.  But the biggest loss will be people's struggles with having face to face conversations.  I've actually seen people at the same table texting each other rather than talking (and listening).  There's just so much we lose by texting and emailing - the inflections in the voice, facial expressions, hand movements.  And here I am...........emailing.  In answer to your question about who would I choose to come sit a spell and chat.........I think either my good friend John in Pennsylvania or my Dad.  My Dad and I never were close and I was too immature to understand that his alcoholism was a disease.  I think I would have liked to understand him better.  If it were someone I never met but admired from afar, I think maybe Byron Nelson or John Wooden.  They were not only successful but from what I understand had great character. Maybe some of it would rub off - I should be so lucky!====JACK:  If we were to live in the Twilight Zone, it might be possible to go back up and pick up the pieces.  Maybe there'll be such a chance in heaven.  A very interesting response from you.  Thanks for sharing.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAULbtw, what is the origin of the word luddite?====JACK:  Before I Google it…..It referred to workers who resisted the Industrial Revolution.  I think that there was a leader by the name of Ludd.  A luddite has come to mean anyone who resists technological change.  Now….I will look it up….Well, the background seems to be pretty much as I described it.

FROM TARMART REV: I've always enjoyed our Panera visits-- not many, but have always enjoyed. Felt I was missed a special part of the morning yesterday in not responding to your post . . . left Willmar for Springfield, MO at 3:30a and arrived here late afternoon at 5p . . . attending the funeral today of the former manager of Sherm Lollar Lanes which hired me all during my Bible college days, 1966-1970 and again part-time when I served as a youth pastor on staff at Calvary Temple (Assemblies of God) 1978-1980 . . . a very fine lady who lived to be 91 . . . wanted to show my respect to her family and personal friends even today. Heading out early again tomorrow morning for home.====JACK:  As I recall our Panera visits, we often talk about people and experiences that have shaped our ministry.  "Well done, good and faithful servant."

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Over the years of work and play there have been a number of people who I got to know more deeply by taking time to sit together and share conversation.  Some became longtime friends.  From personal experience I know you are a winner when it comes to "sitting down with friends and talking about stuff."  My regret is that the distance between us now prevents our doing it face to face.====JACK:  My life has been shaped by the variety of people I've met in my ministry.  I could write a book, if I had the inclination.  Suffice to say, you and your family would be mentioned prominently in that book.

FROM CS IN MICHIGAN:  Me, too. Let's talk some day.====JACK:  I haven't been to Ellen's since the place has been expanded and remodeled.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It's so deeply satisfying to visit with friends!  They love us unconditionally, flaws and all!  God surely blessed us with our friends and family.====JACK:  We all know the stories which make one another laugh (and sometimes put a lump in the throat).

FROM MK IN MICHIGAN:  Me too Jack!  I for one believe my relationships are the most valuable thing I have, although I feel like I often neglect my relationships….====JACK:  I know that if I were to talk with you, I'd ask you if you are enjoying this summer weather...and, as a friend, I know what your answer would be.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  modern technology fills in the gaps. i have reconnected w/so many old friends all over the world w/fb.  i can text dad or daughter quickly, even at work, to be sure all is well.  if not for the internet, i'd not know you!!!====JACK:  I would hate to do without my computer and my cellphone, but, for me, face to face meetings are the best.  I will have to say, the daily contact with a great number of family and friends would not happen without computerized Winning Words.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  YEARS AGO, NEIGHBORS WOULD TAKE TIME TO HAVE 'COFFEE" OR A DIET PEPSI WITH ONE ANOTHER, AND SWAP ADVICE AND STORIES. I  MADE SOME CLOSE FRIENDS THAT WAY, BUT EVENTUALLY THE SEPARATION OF MILES AND YEARS WOULD END THE RELATIONSHIP, THO A FEW ARE STILL CLOSE. THOSE WERE THE DAYS THAT WE WIVES WEREN'T WORKING OUTSIDE THE HOME, AND BEFORE TELEVISION, AND SO MANY OTHER BUSY SCHEDULES. WE'VE ALMOST LOST THE ART OF JUST SITTING AND CHATTING FACE TO FACE!  WE'VE HAD A 'STUDY GROUP" THAT MEETS ONCE A WEEK IN THE MORNING OF RETIRED PASTORS, AND LAY PEOPLE JUST SHARING OUR THOUGHTS, AND READING ABOUT THE UNIVERSE, AND SPACE AND ETERNITY, ETC. WHICH HAS BEEN FASCINATING...JUST A FEW BY INVITATION,  AND IT IS SO INTERESTING. WE ARE  ALL "SEEKERS" ....EXPLORING NEW CONCEPTS AND IDEAS.ALL GOOD THINKERS!====JACK:  Do you think that the Boomers will continue that tradition as they move into "the aged" group?  I guess friends will find friends no matter into which category the statisticians put them...and label them.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  During a recent visit to my doctor, I asked him, "How do you determine whether or not an older person should be committed into an old age home?" "Well," he said, "we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a teaspoon, a teacup and a bucket to the person to empty the bathtub."  "Oh, I  understand," I said. "A normal person would use  the bucket because it is bigger than the spoon or the  teacup." "No" he said. "A normal person would pull  the plug. Do you want a bed near the window?"====JACK:  I suppose that this is typical of the stories you tell when you and the other old friends get together for lunch.

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  Yes, Jack it is wonderful for face to face conversation – I have many on my list including old Jack.  My dream is that we can drive up to the Twin Cities this summer or fall for face to face visits with a dozen folks.  The most interesting conversations that I ever had was with Lyle Schaller when I would drop in with him in his home.====JACK:  Yes, as with Lyle, it's good that you make the visit before it's too late.


No comments: