Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 8/27/14
“Regardless of what’s going on around you, make the best of what’s in your power, and take the rest as it occurs.”  (Epictetus)  If Epictetus had owned a TV he probably would never have watched the news.  He believed that events like that were controlled by fate.  Focus on the things you can control..smiling..honesty..listening..the people you hang out with.  Life is not what happens, but how we react to what happens.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  Another excellent word to begin my day with . . . going to the Minnesota State Fair today, Jack . . . I trust your day will be filled with adventure as I trusting mine will as well. ====JACK:  When you're at the Fair, "control" your appetite, and smile a lot at the people you pass.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  Like====JACK:  Those who followed Epictetus were called Stoics.  Do you like being called a Stoic?====LIZ:  i am too vociferous to be considered "stoic."

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  Right! Sometimes easier said than done.Without going into details we're experiencing just such a situation right now...with a close friend. She's allowing her feelings and is dealing with the realities, emotionally but pragmatically. "Life goes on."....   Stoicism? Grant Woods' " "The American Gothic" comes to mind as a portrayal of stoicism.====JACK:  Grant Wood's couple reminds me of the TV stoics...Oliver and Lisa in Green Acres is the place for me. Farm livin' is the life for me. Land spreadin' out so far and wide. Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside. New York is where I'd rather stay. I get allergic smelling hay. I just adore a penthouse view. Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue. ...The chores. ...The stores. ...Fresh air. ...Times Square You are my wife. Good bye, city life. Green Acres we are there.

1 comment:

SBP said...

Right! Sometimes easier said than done.Without going into details we're experiencing just such a situation right now...with a close friend. She's allowing her feelings and is dealing with the realities,emotionally but pragmatically. "Life goes on."....
Stoicism? Grant Woods' " "The American Gothic" comes to mind as a portrayal of stoicism.