Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 8/20/14
“Yesterday you said tomorrow…Just do it!”  (Nike)  “Just do it!” stares at me from a place next to the computer.  Two others are also there…“Hey You!--Get Busy!” and “Get Tough--Get Off Your Duff!”  They’re reminders that “tomorrow” if often a convenient excuse for putting off “today.”  Nike wants people to start running.  The others might have been written by a sales manager.  Do you see them fitting into your life?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TARMART REV:  Mine are more in this category lately . . . "Others don't do it the way you used to do it, Paul! -- And that's okay!!"====JACK:  Another slogan by the computer are the words of Michelangelo when he was 80-years-old: "Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning).  You and I still have much to learn. 

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  One of my favs has been from Tom Peters:  Ready, Fire, Aim. ====JACK:  Peters was a modern Diogenes...searching for excellence as Diogenes searched for honesty.

FROM TL IN HOUSTON:  This sales manager is lagging in quota for the month, so your words are a wake-up.====JACK:  It was once said of a pastor, "His biggest sin is sloth."  I remember watching a sloth at the Detroit Zoo as it moved ever so slowly to another branch.  Whatever our job, we need reminders from time to time to...step it up!  That's why I keep those slogans where I can see them.

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN:  Absolutely. I tell myself to “Just do it” a lot. I have to ---- especially when there are a lot of things that have to get done.  A Facebook posts from a friend said: “Get up, dress up, show up and never give up!” This has stuck with me too.  Some of the “annual” back-to-school events are underway. This morning I hosted the annual PTSA President & Principal breakfast and program. It went beautifully and everyone showed up! Tomorrow and Friday are the administrative retreat days and next week all staff come back on Wednesday!!!  Huge events next Wednesday.====JACK:  I was just reading that quote (Get up...etc) today in the book, "God Never Blinks" by Regina Brett.  The start of the school year is always a very busy time, isn't it?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  They should be plastered on my forehead.  There are way too many things for me to "do" each day and each day they are still there...sometimes.  Each day I have to give myself a goal....even just a little one and each day I have to accomplish that goal.  It does work for me.  I have to "Just do it" and make sure it gets done.====JACK:  As my mother-in-law used to say to her piano students, "One step, and then another, and the longest journey is done."

  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm finding a million things more important to do now than getting the furnace/laundry room ready for the furnace's yearly inspection before we turn it on again. The reason is because of dreading that the inspector will tell us again that we should be thinking about putting a new furnace in. Hoping maybe we can get one more year out of our present one. Find I have more tendency to "put things off" when anticipating some sort of criticism/bad news/reprisals. Thanks for helping us reflect and get more gumption.
S.H. in MI