Friday, August 22, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 8/22/14
“What’s right isn’t always popular.  What’s popular isn’t always right.”  (Howard Cosell)  “He was pompous, arrogant and a showoff.”  Cosell agreed.  He didn’t always say the popular thing, but that added to Howard’s popularity.  Where are those today who are willing to stand up for “right” regardless of the consequences?  Henry Clay is famous for the words, “I’d rather be right than be president.”  And, he wasn’t elected.    ;-)  Jack

FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  The problem we are incurring with many of our politicians  is that they are not good leaders, but great vote getters.  A great leader tells what you need to hear; a great vote getter tells you what you want to hear.====JACK:  A trend that seems to be increasing ...Follow the money!  Something similar...Money talks!====IKE:  Money is not the problem.The problem is that the money is in the pockets of too many corrupt & incompetent people that are wearing the pants (and in some purses).====JACK:  ...or, as the Bible puts it, "The LOVE of money is the root of all evil."

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  I like those who have integrity..."being your word". Sometimes it's not so much about being "right" as much as being willing to be wrong and admitting it. When I was coaching, I used to tell my little guys, "You can't make a free-throw, if you're not willing to miss it." Make it or miss it....you gotta shoot.====JACK:  Wasn't it Wayne Gretzky who said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"?

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  I have always said I may not always be popular, but I AM ALWAYS RIGHT..........JACK:  MMMMM.  I'll have to ask your kids what they remember about their growing up years.

FROM TW IN MICHIGAN:  That is certainly the truth!!!====JACK:  You sound like Edith Ann.  "And, that's the truth!"  Have you ever heard of Edith Ann?

FROM TARMART REV:  The current season is ripe for a genuine "hero"  . . . been awhile since discovery one again.====JACK:  The problem is....In this world, while people long for heroes, there are always those who seek to topple them.  In this divided nation, I'm afraid that one who tries to be a uniter is going to have "tough sledding", as they say in Willmar.

FROM JD IN THE TWIN CITIES:  MARTIN LUTHER WAS RIGHT AND HE WAS EXCOMMUNICATED.====JACK: ...and I don't think he cared.  Maybe it was a badge of honor for him.  Some people enjoy martyrdom.

1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

I like those who have integrity..."being your word". Sometimes it's not so much about being "right" as much as being willing to be wrong and admitting it. When I was coaching, I used to tell my little guys, "You can't make a free-throw, if you're not willing to miss it." Make it or miss it....you gotta shoot.