Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 8/13/14
“When I do good, I feel good.  When I do bad, I feel bad.  That’s my religion.”  (A. Lincoln)  Probably the most revered of the U.S. Presidents has been “Honest Abe.”  He often quoted the Bible, and religious beliefs affected his views on slavery and the Civil War.  The “church” of his day was not like my church experience.  What shapes your religious beliefs…positive or negative?  How has “religion” affected you?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TARMART REV:   . . . a journey of a lifetime!! 0;-) PS- Someone posted on FB yesterday: "Ever notice there are no Democrats found faced on Mt. Rushmore!" Question: Were there D & R during those earlier years? 0;-/====JACK:  At first I was going to respond..."In the good old days people didn't care about political parties"...but, remembering history...political fights might even have been worse in those days.  Lincoln was not "beloved" by the Douglas crowd.

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  My "religion" took shape when I understood it as a means to serve my "theology". Lincoln describes a useful conscience; but I think there is much to say about the idea that "good" doesn't come from my activity or my conscience --- maybe through it; but not from it. I merely get to touch it.====JACK:  Our theology usually comes from a religious root.  At least, in my case, my theology traces back to my first church experience and has evolved to what it is  today because of experiences I've had and people I've met.  Even people who have a negative view of religion can probably trace it back to a particular experience.

FROM SHARI' SHARON:  Actually, Lincoln's words sort of touch what I feel too. I don't stew and fret over whether or not everyone, or even many, people are going to heaven or hell but that part in the scriptures where it says the Word is very near to us and even written on our hearts, to me means absolutely everyone--retroactive and going forward. Something happened with God becoming incarnate and, even if I somehow don't see it in my actions or in someone else's, I believe Lincoln's words express the truth of the matter. The internal is actually more reality than the external and hope reigns always for that reality to play out--for me anyway.====JACK:  I don't think that the songs the slaves sang came out of theological discussions.

FROM HCC CHUCK:  These words express my life as I see it but maybe this is more true " I'm laughing on the outside but crying on the inside"====JACK:  "If you're happy and you know it," it should be on the inside, too.  It's sometimes easier said than done.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Lincoln's conscience was shaped by  his constant Bible reading. Just finished the book THE LINCOLNS IN THE WHITE HOUSE, and how anyone coped with life in the White House in those days is a wonder!  To be President in such an absolutely terrible time in our history, and to handle day to  day challenges of dealing with politicians, the public who wandered in at will all day, his wife & family, grief, living conditions in Washington, etc. etc. No wonder he aged quickly into an "old man"....He did his best, and it was pretty darn good!!====JACK:  It so easy to pass judgment....In fact, a lot of that is being done today.  How many of us would choose to walk in Abe's moccasins?

2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

My "religion" took shape when I understood it as a means to serve my "theology". Lincoln describes a useful conscience; but I think there is much to say about the idea that "good" doesn't come from my activity or my conscience --- maybe through it; but not from it. I merely get to touch it.

Anonymous said...

Actually, Lincoln's words sort of touch what I feel too. I don't stew and fret over whether or not everyone, or even many, people are going to heaven or hell but that part in the scriptures where it says the Word is very near to us and even written on our hearts, to me means absolutely everyone--retroactive and going forward. Something happened with God becoming incarnate and, even if I somehow don't see it in my actions or in someone else's, I believe Lincoln's words express the truth of the matter. The internal is actually more reality than the external and hope reigns always for that reality to play out--for me anyway.
Peace,
S.H. in MI