Tuesday, February 04, 2020

Jack’s Winning Words 2/4/20
“As a child I learned from the Bible to trust in God and not be afraid…and I felt that God would give me the strength to endure whatever I had to face.  God did do away with all my fear.”  (Rosa Parks)  At a museum in Michigan, the actual bus where Rosa refused to give up her seat (because of her color) is on display.  In fact, I actually sat in that seat.  She learned in church (and I did too) that when you trust in God you don’t have to be afraid.  It’s a lesson for all of us.   ;-)  Jack.

FROM HY YO SILVER:  Today would’ve been her 107th birthday.===JACK:  Sometimes you get to the point where you're not going to "take it" anymore.  Hurrah for Rosa! 

FROM WALMART REV:  A Sunday School grad, myself!! 0;-)===JACK:  Some of the best years of my life were the Sunday School years...although I didn't know it at the time.

FROM FISH IN SCOTIA:  did you read Education by Tara Westover?===JACK:  You have piqued my interest. I'm going to check it out...(pause)...I have done some preliminary reading.  Great story, and it has given me a Winning Words to use in the near future. 

FROM BLAZING OAKS:   My great-g.daughter's 4th grade class just portrayed different historical people, and one girl was Rosa Parks; all dressed as the character/ Avery was Michael Jackson! Can't imagine the courage it took for Rosa to defy the conventions of her time, to stand up for her, and people of color's rights!!! WOW!
I notice a referral to the book EDUCATiON. Quite a story, and a very good read! We've come a long way, but have a  long way to go! Reading WHITE FRAGILITY at the moment, and it is an eye-opener about racial bias!! Recommend it!===JACK:  I'm sure that there was some trepidation when you and Bill decided to join in the protest marches in the 60s when it wasn't the popular thing to do.  I don't think that we feel as Rosa Parks felt.  What a brave soul!

No comments: