Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Jack’s Winning Words 2/11 /20
“Instead of a TO DO list—an I GET TO list.”  (Ryan Seacrest)  The receipts and forms are on the table.  My To Do List includes paying my Income Tax.  Oops!  I meant to say that “I get to pay my taxes.”  I’m one of those strange people who looks at taxes positively and sees a library, the schools, police officers, ems and fire trucks.  Aside from Congress, at times, I’m glad that I get to live in America, from sea to shining sea.  What do you get to do that makes you happy?  ;-)  Jack

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  To just enjoy each beautiful day here in Florida!===JACK:  It's a beautiful day in Michigan, too...and crisp, white snow.  Temperature..28.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  govt’s wasting our money, never solving any problems/just throwing more and more money at the same stuff, and fat cat crooked congresspeople make me unhappy. term limits, voting them all out would make me way happier... ===JACK:  We have term limits in Michigan...and that has its own set of problems.  It does not seem to solve the problem.  What we need are "principled people."  They are few and hard to find and seem reluctant to enter the political scene...so we are left with too many "unprincipled."  Frustrating, to say the least.===LIZ:  curious as to what probs you guys have experienced regarding term limits. do they serve the purpose of weeding out some of the seedy types who think they can make politicking a lucrative career, i wonder...===JACK:  Yes, term limits gets rid of ineffective career politicians.  At the same time you lose those who have experience.  In Michigan, we tend to have a novice legislature...learning...and then they are gone.  It would be like changing the pastor of a congregation just when he is most effective.  The obverse is to be stuck with an ineffective pastor.  Perhaps the answer is a longer term limit.  I think that the term limit for American President has worked well, although I didn't necessarily think so at the time.  I stand by my previous statement..."We need principled people."  I see politics over principles...and that leads to disaster.  

FROM WILLMAR REV:  Wake up in America and realize how blessed I am to do so!! God has truly blessed America and I hope will will bless Him for doing so. 0;-) ===JACK:  How do we "bless" God?  Is it possible?  I guess it's a blessing for God when people are obedient to His will.===REV:  Obedience is what I’m thinking. 0;-)  ===JACK:  "Trust and obey, For there's no other way."

FROM YOGA GURU:  Praise God !  I woke up today.  I hope get to do the 5 things on my list today including taxes - lol.===JACK:  Do you begin your day with asanas...and end the session with savasana?  Do you try to practice what you preach?===GURU:  I do try to begin each day with Praise and Gratitude.   
My yoga practice is very dedicated in the evening.   My mornings are more random asanas.    Today,  I am working on 3 new vinyasa flows for class on Thursday.  
So, the answer is yes - I believe so.===JACK:  There are different ways of praying (communicating with God).  Yoga is simply one of them.  Doing a good deed is another.  By saying words is another...but not the only way.  

FROM COPPER COUNTRY REV:  Excellent words!   I express such words to my township tax collector every time I bring in my payment.  Both she and the supervisor at visibly taken back.  Then I get to share my 10 second witness about being a Christian citizen.===JACK:  It's something like that with my Church giving.  "We give Thee but Thine own, whate'er the gift may be.  All that we have is Thine alone, a trust, O Lord, from Thee."  Heaps of thanks for your blog

FROM BB IN CHGO:  As always, great thoughts.  I agree with you about taxes.  I am fine kicking in for the betterment of all and feel fortunate that paying an extra share could mean foregoing a few meals out or a new outfit where for others, tax increases could mean a choice between getting prescriptions filled on time or paying their utility bills and paying taxes.  Whew!===JACK:   I have trouble enough with living one life, without trying to insert myself into other situations which are beyond my control...and I don't feel guilt, either.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  Live every day as if your last.===JACK:  Have you ever thought that a particular day might be your last?  Last year I was riding in the back of an ambulance and asked the EMS tech to take me to a particular hospital, and he replied that they couldn't.  They had to go to the nearest hospital, because I might not make it if they went to the one farther away.  What?  I was feeling fine, but didn't  have access to the numbers.  That's the closest that I've ever been to my last day...at least, that I know of.

FROM J&J IN &OVER:  Not our President?===JACK:  I shake my head.

FROM LBP:  I get to run a messy Cub Scout adventure tonight. I expect they will have lots of fun though===JACK:  Getting to be a parent is a real privilege, which becomes more and more of a blessing with the passage of time.

FROM DR J:  Yep… I’m with you. Paying taxes is an honor. Contributing to something bigger than ourselves and something that will serve future generations.  I used to take nibbles off of Kiki’s treats prior to serving it to her and remind her “you have to pay your taxes”… we laugh about this today!===JACK:  I know that there's a tax on gasoline to help pay for roads.  Is there a similar tax added when you recharge the batteries of your Bolt?===DJ:  Actually Ohio is now taxing people with hybrids and electric cars since we don’t pay a gas tax. I actually don’t mind that because it seems fair. However the rate in which they are taxing us for exceeds any other state I’m told. That seems mean-spirited since we have a lot of big oil legislators in Ohio===JACK:  Our governor got elected mainly on her slogan: "We've gotta fix the damn roads."  Then, when higher gas taxes were proposed, or turning free-ways into toll-ways, protests were loud...so back to the drawing board.  A bond issue!  No pain now....We'll worry about how to pay it off later.

No comments: