Thursday, July 30, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 7/30/15
“We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think.  When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.”  (Buddha)  Wally Long was in prison, a defeated man.  Somehow he was introduced to the idea that we can become what we think about all day long.  He began thinking about life changes he wanted to make.  The odds weren’t great, but it happened.  The story is long…but it shows the power of God to bring about change.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  (v) OH! TO BE LIKE THEE, blessed Redeemer, This is my constant longing and prayer; Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures, Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.
(v) O! To be like Thee, full of compassion, Loving, forgiving, tender and kind, Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting, Seeking the wand’ring sinner to find.
(v) O! To be like Thee, lowly in spirit, Holy and harmless, patient and brave; Meekly enduring cruel reproaches, Willing to suffer, others to save.
(v) O! To be like Thee, Lord, I am coming, Now to receive th’ anointing divine, All that I am and have I am bringing, Lord, from this moment all shall be Thine.
(v) O! To be like Thee, while I am pleading, Pour out Thy Spirit, fill with Thy love, Make me a temple for Thy dwelling, Fit me for life and Heaven above.
(Chorus) O! To be like Thee, O! To be like Thee, Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art; Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness; Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.
Impossibility this side of eternity, I know . . . but a little closer each day, I'm hoping for!! ====JACK:  In wonder if Wally's change had a God-dimension to it?====REV:  Wouldn't be surprised to find that God was involved in his life one way or another...I'm still intrigued about Bill and Bob in their founding of AA and its growth into what it has become today. Talk often about that "Higher Power"!====JACK:   I don't mind referring to a "Higher Power."  Whatever expresses your belief in God is OK with me.  I especially appreciate how some Jews use G-d.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  This reminds me of the 19th century Progressives who believed that education would reform the world.    It was followed by the horrors of the 20th century.    The mind is a part of the puzzle.   We need all the pieces, however, to be able to see the whole puzzle put together.====JACK:  I'm usually suspicious of simple solutions.  While black and white choices are a reality, a lot of our decisions have to be made in the gray area.  Isn't it frustrating to try to do a jigsaw puzzle when a piece is missing?

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Doesn't the Bible also say thought leads to desire, then the act, then death?====JACK:  Yes, our thoughts can lead in many directions and, therefore, can benefit from some direction.  In confirmation, I showed the students 3 pictures.  1. An eagle soaring in the sky; 2. A horse grazing in a fenced pasture; 3. A man in a cramped cellar stairway.  They I asked, "Which of these shows what the church is for you (and why)?"

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Very timely. Thanks====JACK:  God's wrist watch doesn't always read the same as ours.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We were taught to think good thoughts.  It was a simple idea but it's relevant.  Especially when it comes to faith.====JACK:  Here's a good song for the start of the day.
Father, we thank thee for the night,
And for the pleasant morning light.
For rest and food and loving care,
And all that makes the day so fair.
Help us to do the thing we should,
To be to others kind and good,
In all we do, in all we say,
To grow more loving every day.



1 comment:

SBP said...

A simple song, and so meaningful.