Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 7/1/15
“Be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, tolerant of the weak, because someday in your life you will be all of these.”  (G.W. Carver)  Often I can go into a gathering of people and know that I have once been the age of each person.  Empathy is the ability to feel as others feel.  People would be better able to understand poverty, ageism, homelessness and racism if they had experienced it.  If you can’t be empathetic, try to be sympathetic.    ;-)  Jack  


FROM TARMART REV:  "Glean from every season of life", I've always tried to master. I can hardly wait for eternity!!====JACK:  I read this morning..."When Jesus comes again, some will complain that the original was better than the sequel."====REV:  They will be watching most likely from a distance!?====JACK:  Do you remember the song, "When Jesus Comes in Glory?"
When Jesus comes in glory,   As Lord and King of kings,
 O what a wondrous story   The blessèd Bible brings;
 His face will shine like sunlight,   His head be white as snow,
 His eyes like flaming firelight,   His feet like brass aglow.
That's not the picture of Jesus I saw in Sunday School.  He looked human.


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  good words for today.  was it not amazing what GWC did with the lowly peanut?  I believe his one room log home is on the grounds at Greenfield Village.  or at least it once was some  years ago...====JACK:  Yep!  It's still there.  Greenfield Village is one of the great walking museums in our country.  Did you ever officiate at a wedding at the Mary Martha Chapel on the GV grounds?  


FROM MY LAWYER:  GOOD LIFE LESSON.  This reminds me of a time when I was with my Mom in Florida.  There was an older man at the table who was moving rather slowly getting up.  I made an inappropriate comment and my Mom kicked me under the table.  Later she told me: "Whatever you are he was; whatever he is you will be!"  I've never forgotten that.  I've passed this on to my children.====JACK:  Your story reminds me of the very first Winning Words that I used, "Virtue is learned at mother's knee.  Vice is learned at other joints."


FROM BB IN ILLINOIS:  Thanks for your wisdom.  Think part of the beauty of aging is exactly as you say, being able to recall being the age of others in the room rather than the incomprehensible – how will it/I feel when I am that old!....Have you heard the President Obama podcast/interview from Monday?  It’s called “WTF” and the interview was hosted by a comedian.  One of the most poignant questions Obama answered was what one does when one realizes that there are things about ourselves we’ve not been able to sort out or fulfill.  The President said that his 50’s have been a time of coming to understanding that some of those things are just “what they are” and finding contentment.  I agreed!====JACK:  Which have you seen as the most defining age-milestone for you?  Becoming a teen?  Reaching 21?  30?  40?  50?


FROM KF IN MICHIGAN:  Good words for every day!====JACK:  Words, words, words must turn into action, action, action.


FROM BLAZING OAKS:   Just caught up with the last few WW, as my computer was down, until my guru came today....As in marriage, both have to give 100%, not 50!  Then things work out wondrously well! Two quotes come to mind: "It's what you learn after you know it all, that  counts." (Baseball manager Earl Weaver. And  Isaac Assimov's "Your Assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in awhile, or no light can come in.".  Love the WW today, and your words to go with it!  Also loved the quote from a reader's mother this week, "Whatever you are, he was, and whatever he is, you will be!" Neat turn of phrase, so true!====JACK:  I like the thought behind Earl Weaver's quote.  I've learned soooooo much...that I once thought I didn't need to know.


FROM CK IN MICHIGAN:  Sound advice indeed.====JACK:  The Golden Rule is more precious than gold.
    
 

No comments: