Thursday, August 28, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 8/28/14
“A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.”  (Nelson Mandela)  The 4-H youth organization emphasizes Head, Heart, Hands and Health.  It’s a group mainly for farm kids, but its aims fit all youth…to develop citizenship, leadership, responsibility and skills.  Their motto is “To make the best better.”  Teaching the 3-R’s is important, but it wouldn’t hurt to toss some of the 4-H teaching, too.    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Too much Christianity in America would exclude the head.====JACK:  I think I know what you're getting at, but I'd like clarification before I surmise.====JOHN:  The right wing insists that the Bible. Is to be read as a textbook and won't let it be what it is....thus, they end up with conflicts with Science which shouldn't happen.====JACK:  Our individuality shows itself in that we each can use our brain and reach a different conclusion about the same subject.  While I side with you, I like the Gospel song with the line..."We'll understand it all, by and by."

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Our daughter attended public schools in our area which high school had 95% African American students. Just last night she was telling me that she is on a new project at her job--the company wanted diversity, some younger engineers and some women. Brenda is 30 years old. Everyone else at the meeting were over 40 years old and men. She seems to be the diversity so far but was also telling me how thankful she is for her earlier school experience as it really helped her to be comfortable "as a minority". There are very important things to learn at school besides reading, writing and arithmetic.====JACK:  Being in the minority can be a positive and a negative, depending on how we respond.  Sometimes "even-up" results in a stalemate, with nothing being accomplished.  I have a picture of Rosa Parks' bus on my wall as a reminder of what a minority of one can accomplish.

FROM NORWEGIAN JAN:  I spent 9 years in 4-H; it’s one of the reasons I’m a good baker and not a great cook.  (You can’t take a pot-roast to the fair.)  I had a lot of great opportunities through 4-H (leadership trips to Washington D.C., a summer on a farm in northern Norway, etc.).  My nieces grew up in a suburb of the Twin Cities and still live in that area, but they’re considering enrolling their kids in 4-H.  (I guess there are not enough true farm-kids anymore to keep it going, so I’m glad the organization is willing to enroll “city-folk” now too.)====JACK:  As I recall, the 4-H has it's own building and a big presence at the Minnesota State Fair.  The program is also supported by the University of Minnesota. 

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN:  Love this Jack and I agree. I love the 4-H philosophy too.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  4H is quite strong in our area, which has many farms, and rural kids.Certainly emphasizes high ideals and service!  Andy Wimmer, who left his job as a financial advisor to volunteer ata hospice center in Kalighat, India, (est.by mother Teresa) said it well: "My life is a loan, given from God. I will give this loan back, but with interest...You love; your serve the  brother or sister in front of you. That is how you have a happy life." AMEN!====JACK:  There are many Winning Words out there to inspire us.

FROM KF IN MICHIGAN:  & more ZZZZZ's for students : )====JACK:  "Early to bed and early to rise makes a student healthy and wise."

FROM MK IN MICHIGAN:  I totally agree!! The boys elementary school just started a 4H group at their school. The boys joined & love it!! They built a herb garden last year. We helped maintain it over the summer. What a great experience it has been!====JACK:  I'm seeing this as a growing trend...bringing what is seen as a program for farm kids to the city and suburbia for all kids.

FROM SG IN MICHIGAN:  "I give my head to clearer thinking, my heart to greater loyalty, my hands to larger service, and my health to better living, for my club, my community and my country."  Wow, I remembered this after 50+ years!!  4-H did teach me a lot, and I am so thankful for being raised a "farm kid."====JACK:  What a great pledge for all kids to make!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our daughter attended public schools in our area which high school had 95% African American students. Just last night she was telling me that she is on a new project at her job--the company wanted diversity, some younger engineers and some women. Brenda is 30 years old. Everyone else at the meeting were over 40 years old and men. She seems to be the diversity so far but was also telling me how thankful she is for her earlier school experience as it really helped her to be comfortable "as a minority". There are very important things to learn at school besides reading, writing and arithmetic.
S.H. in MI