Friday, May 30, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 5/30/14
“We may encounter many defeats, but we must not be defeated.”  (Maya Angelou)
Maya, a poet, teacher and survivor, died this week.  She is an example of one who turned a negative life into a positive one…going from a strip club to reading one of her poems at a Presidential inauguration.  A survivor is one who copes, who carries on, in spite of…. You probably have some who come to mind, some you even know personally.    ;-)  Jack

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:  she was raped by her mother's boy friend when still a little girl and she did not speak for 5 years after that trauma.  that event became the basis of her book entitled (i think) why the caged bird sings.====JACK:  Her faith in God no doubt helped her get through the rough places.  The song, His Eye Is On The Sparrow, could have has a special meaning for her.
Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav’n and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me. Refrain:
I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

FROM TARMART REV:  Often feel that way about myself . . . my share of "sticking foot in mouth" disease . . .  "one who copes, who carries on, in spite of 'himself' . . . I still would not trade my life in for another one . . . its been a very adventurous, even with my stumbles and my foot found in my mouth at times!!====JACK:  Here's some advice....Be sure your brain is in gear before you open your mouth and step on the gas!

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  really like Maya... inspiration to so many!====JACK:  Do you have to "relate" in order to "appreciate" what Maya writes?  I'm just wondering.  Or, is it because you appreciate how a person can put a life into words?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  The defeats are what make our "overcomes" that much sweeter. ====JACK:  ...and make us stronger.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I had not heard this (I avoid most news). I always enjoyed seeing her on Oprah and listening to her poetry.  I especially loved her poem about the “Caged Bird.”  She will be missed.====JACK:  Much of her writing relates to personal experiences...for example, The Caged Bird.  I have saved several of her quotes which are truly Winning Words.====JON:   a great little blurb on Maya Angelou and a great quote:  “I’ve always had the feeling that life loves the liver of it. You must live and life will be good to you, give you experiences.”
  
 

No comments: