Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 5/28/14
“I’m smart enough to know that (selfies) can seem incredibly shallow, narcissistic and vain.”  (Philip Hitchcock)  Even the Pope and the Kardashians take selfies!  Is there anyone “out there” who hasn’t (besides me)?  There’s a link describing the etiquette of doing selfies at funerals and weddings.  Customs change with the times.  The I-phone has made a major impact on society, for better or worse…probably for the better.    ;-) Jack   

FROM CS IN MICHIGAN:  Amen to that.====JACK: Is "Amen" something that someone says (instead of "Cheese") when they take a selfie in church?====CS:  I have only done a selfie with my 91yr old mom.  I don't like to see myself up that close - but from now on I am saying amen instead of cheese!====JACK:  Now that I think of it, selfies came on the scene when mirrors were invented.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  A selfie is a selfie.   I'm with you in that I haven't taken one but it seems incredibly judgmental to conclude as Hitchcock has done.====JACK:  I'm always suspicious of that person who sets themself(ie) above the hoi polio.

FROM TARMART REV:  Very few times am I ever happy looking at a picture of myself or hearing myself speak . . . there are rare exceptions, but not often. I still recall seeing all those "early selfies" of the Confirmation Class graduates along with yourself hanging on the wall at Holy Spirit Lutheran Church!! 0;-))====JACK:  I notice how often former confirmation students will go to "the wall" to see the picture of their class.  "The wall" also gives me an opportunity to reflect on the privilege that was mine to be a teacher of the faith.

FROM PASTY PAT:  I haven't either --- but then I'm a dinosaur.====JACK:  I don't believe that there was any dinosaurs named, Pat.  But there was one called, Parasaurolophus.  Perhaps she had the nickname of Pat.====PAT:  Once again you've begun my day with a chuckle --- a truly nice way to start the day.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Enjoyed your WW this morning, as I always do.  Thought I'd share with you my one and only selfie.  We had our Southfield/Lathrup CROP Hunger Walk on May 4th and, in preparation for the Walk, made a sandwich sign to wear while taking photographs of all the walkers.  Unfortunately, things got so hectic that morning that I forgot to put my sandwich sign on but remembered the camera and still took quite a few photographs.  The reason I had to use my camera to take my selfie is that I really don't know--yet--how to fully use my cell phone.  So this is sort of an old-timers selfie.====JACK:  My blog chooses not to do pictures, so I'll leave it up to cyber-imagination.  Sometimes imagination allows for many pictures.

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:  a pastor friend of mine told me he looked up one morning while giving communion and there was a guy in line checking his phone for messages.  interesting what our technology is doing to us...====JACK:  Who are we to judge?  It could have been God using a modern means of connecting with someone.  I remember the first time I saw someone sitting in a church service drinking coffee from a styrofoam cup.  I've also seen a pastor stop his sermon and take a swig from a water bottle.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  It is absolutely amazing what my kids, grandkids, and "greats" phones can do!  Mine will take pictures, but i do not use it for that....my four yr old great granddaughter took a selfie of herself and I, and it was very good! Couldn'[t believe she could do that! Her mom is an excellent photographer; professional quality, so maybe she has those "genes"!  With the public's focus on constant texting (notice those waiting in line ANYWHERE) and on the Kardashions (WHY????!)...  20% of people vote, but almost 100% use I Phones constantly...where is  our society headed?  I guess every age has older people  thinking that the younger generation is "going to the dogs"....even back in Plato's day.====JACK:  My Grandson just returned from Israel with hundreds of pictures on his IPhone.  BTW, I can still recall my parents making comments about how much better the music was in "their" day than in "my" day.  I wonder if Bach's parents made similar comments about his music.

FROM HCC CHUCK:  I also am not a smart phone person  I still use a camera for my pics. ====JACK:  Just a few days ago my wife said how much she missed taking pictures with her Kodak and having them developed at the local camera shop.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I love taking pictures with the iphone and sharing them, but not selfies.  BTW your Tigers are having a gangbuster of a season.  The Rays are doing well yet.  We did see an exciting game at the Trop.which they won and which was full of action.  These are busy times.We will have a new dentist in the family after Saturday's graduation, a high school graduation here in Tampa, and a confirmation here-all in one week.  I love it all.====JACK:  Graduations of grandchildren are exciting events.  The torch of leadership is passed on.  I once had a confirmation service shortly after the Olympics.  A relative of one of the students participated in the pre-Olympic run carrying the flame and was given the torch that he carried.  We used that torch as part of the Confirmation service, using the theme...Passing on the Torch (Faith).

FROM PLAINFOLKS CHESTER:  Selfies are idiot's pastime art.====JACK:  Evidently you don't have an Iphone.  Are you still using a rotary dial phone?

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Selfies may seem shallow, narcissistic and vain to onlookers, but for the persons clicking the image, it's their way of recording the moment for the pleasure of looking looking back on it later.  (You may put me on your list of those who have not taken a selfie.)====JACK:  On Memorial Day 19-year-0ld grandson Joe were walking in the cemetery and I mentioned that former Detroit Tiger was buried "over there."  Joe said, "Isn't he the one who once used a corked bat."  I said that I didn't know.  With that, he pulled out his I-phone, and within a matter of seconds he had verified the information, along with various statistics of the player.  When I was his age, I never would have dreamed about having information like that.  Count me as one who is not a Luddite.

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  me, either. narcissistic fad.====JACK: The first automobiles were called "a fad" also.  "The horse is here to stay!"====LIZ:  smartphones are here to stay... selfies, a fad.====JACK:  Egotism is here to stay.  But, the next new thing will replace selfies

No comments: