Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 5/20/14
“The key to everything is patience.  You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.”  (Arnold Glasgow)  Besides the round-abouts, one of great new things in our town is a traffic signal showing the number of seconds before the red turns green.  If you are one of the “impatients,” here are some suggestions…“Take a deep breath…Try to see the big picture…Some things take time…Ask—What really matters?”    ;-)  Jack  

FROM LP IN PLYMOUTH:   This month's issue of real simple magazine has an article on patience and tips for training us to be patient. One I like visualizing an event that tests your patience going well. They suggest your mind goes to recent experiences for how to act now and even imagine ones can help. Sadly, it's been a recurrent theme. But I've got many blessings and I know this. So now I've got to just get a grip!====JACK:  Whether it be testing your patience at work at home or at the stop light, count your blessings.  You'll probably get the "green light" before you finish counting.  BTW, I've never heard of Real Simple magazine, but as I Googled it, it looks interesting.

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:  good thoughts for today, old friend.  take care...====JACK:  Every so often, an idea hatches.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Patience and procrastination are close relatives. The trick is to know when to stop waiting.====JACK:  Some people "honk" (complain) when God takes too long to answer a prayer.====CHESTER:  You gotta admit, Gad sometimes takes his own sweet time. Or maybe he is not on our timetable.====JACK:  Look closely!  Have you ever seen God wearing a wristwatch?

FROM MS IN MICHIGAN:  Only men like roundabouts—all the women I know, including me, hate them.====JACK:  I guess the saying's true..."You can't teach old dogs new tricks."  Prediction!!!
There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home. - Ken Olson, President of Digital Corporation, 1977

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Here in Boston we have a lot of impatient drivers...I think the city is up among the top cities for discourteous drivers.  But speeding up to beat a traffic light going red, or jumping the gun when the light changes to green doesn't benefit much.  With the traffic jams at the intersections, one only gets hung up at the next light.  I enjoy granting space to a driver who wants to pull out into traffic from the curb, or letting a driver from a side street get into the line of traffic, and drivers behind me are honking to "get going".  Your suggestions for chilling out while driving are good.  Your note that West Bloomfield now has traffic roundabouts surprised me.  How many and where?  We have a lot of roundabouts here in New England...some that do an excellent job speeding up redirecting traffic, and others that are just losers, perhaps some traffic engineer's creation to bring his/her community into the "big time".====JACK:  We have three roundabouts near our home which we use all of the time.  I'm proud to say that I was a member of the Planning Commission that recommended that they be installed.  They have worked so well that a major roundabout will be installed where Northwester Hwy, Orchard Lake Rd and 14 Mile Rd come together.  Perhaps a dozen, or more, traffic signals will be eliminated.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Patience + Perseverance====JACK:  How long has it been since you've honked your car horn?

FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  Using "poetic justice":Don't you find it interesting that you only need to change the letter m to n to get from impatient to in-patient?..mmm..====JACK:  And, if you don't use your seatbelt, you might become an out-patient.

FROM TARMART REV:  In Minnesota at this time it is patiently praying that the rain will let up enough to give the farmers a catch-up chance to plant in their fields. Patiently for some . . . impatiently for others, but behind a bit presently. ====JACK:  I once preached a sermon, "Does it do any good to pray about the weather?"====REV:  I would suppose since our Lord and Savior is found praying about matters beyond His control, it would be best for us to be found praying about such matters as well...understanding, "not our, but His will be done.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:   Do you find you are getting more patient as you get older?  I do.  The little things don't bother me nearly as much as they used to.  It's easier for me to forgive, forget (that's no problem at all these days) and move on.  I don't mind sitting at a red light or being behind a big farmer's tractor.  It just gives me more time to be thankful for those things I have.====JACK:  I laugh at the Jimmy John's commercial where the Old Guy places an order and it's delivered before he hangs up the phone.  He then says in a grumpy voice, "What took you so long?"  Not all of the elderly are as patient as you are.====JUDY:  When I am in pain or aggravated, I usually am very quiet.  I don't say much.  But my patience with everyday things don't bother me much anymore.  I'm not sure why, they just don't.  Hopefully, that means I won't be a crabby old lady.====JACK:  Try to be patient with the Jimmy John's delivery person.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  God makes impatient people so stuff gets done.====JACK:  In the story of the sisters, Martha and Mary, entertaining Jesus...You'd stick up for Martha, wouldn't you?

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  We don't have roundabouts; In fact Petersburg has only one stoplight!!  Ha! But I remember them in London, England, and was glad my  niece was doing the driving!  Calm is the new Happiness! And yes, taking a deep breath when you feel anxious or overwhelmed helps a lot! Good WW to remember!====JACK:  The new roundabouts aren't like the typical European ones.  Traffic really flows smoothly, except for the Nervous Nellies.

No comments: