Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 4/14/15
“The first and great commandment is this:  Don’t let them scare you.”  (Elmer Davis)  I was recently asked, “What is your favorite quote?”  I replied, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength and mind and your neighbor as yourself.”  That’s the first and great commandment from Jesus’ point of view.  Elmer’s quote could also be the words of Jesus when he said, “Be not afraid…for I am with you always.”  Keep that in mind!    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TARMART REV:  "Peace be with you this day, my good friend, Jack!!"====JACK:  Peace is another onomatopoeia word.

  FROM LS IN  MICHIGAN:  Good morning.   once again you brought me the quote I needed this morning.  have a beautiful day.====JACK:  We never know how our words, yours and mine, will affect people today.  Each of us has an opportunity to make a difference to others.  Thanks for your words of encouragement.  

FROM DM IN MICHIGAN:  Thank you for the reminder.   In our daily dealings things become misconstrued in my mind, and I have a hard time seeing things straight when things get political.   So my favorite is the Serenity Prayer.  Lately I have thought on this prayer a lot.====JACK:  Did you know that the Serenity Prayer was written by Reinhold Niebuhr who was once a pastor in Detroit.  His prayer is used by Alcoholics Anonymous as a part of their 12-step program.  Niebuhr was actively involved in helping he poor and the oppressed, and for that, he was accused of being too political.  That was also an accusation against Jesus.  It's interesting that Jesus prayed, too.  

FROM RP;  Thank you.====JACK:  Just to let you know that I remind God of you and your family daily.  Of course, he needs no reminder.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Just think what the world would be like if everyone followed Jesus' statement.  It would change this world!====JACK:  He's counting on you and me to make a difference in our corner of the world.  "It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Martin Luther King Jr. said, "The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it." I wish the whole world could see this, and take it to heart: It seems that there is chaos everywhere in Asia and the Middle East, especially, but really there seems to be violence everywhere anymore!  A lot of it in the name of religion. So much for loving four neighbors as ourselves...! So "don't let them scare you" is a challenge, Elmer Davis!  We'll put our trust in the promise of Jesus that you quoted, Jack!!====JACK:  Each generation seems to have its fears.  But what are the fears of today compared to the fears associated with our country's Civil War?  And, some of us have experienced the fears of the Great Depression, World War 2, the Cold War.  But the comforting words of Jesus are the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.  "Fear not; I am with you."

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Illegitimi non carborundum.====JACK:  Is that in the King James Version of the Bible?

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I love the song Be Not Afraid.====JACK:  I learned a "Be Not Afraid" song at Bible Camp.  "I will not be afraid.  I will not be afraid.  I will look upward, And travel onward, And not be afraid.  He says he will be with me.  He says he will be with me.  He goes before me, And is beside me, So I'm not afraid."

No comments: