Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 4/1/15
“Here cometh April again, and as far as I can see, the world hath more fools in it than ever.”  (Charles Lamb)  In 1936, a Honolulu newspaper reported that remains of an ancient Viking ship had been discovered in Hawaii.  The Scandinavian name on the ship’s stern was translated to read…April Fool.  There’s a site, listing the best AF’s jokes back to the 1500s.    Every year has its share of foolishness.  Some of it is fun, but some of it isn’t.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  "No fooling?"====JACK:  Picture this....."Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton."

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Have a fun day and a Happy Easter.====JACK:  Did you know that the Wednesday of Holy Week is sometimes called Spy Wednesday?====SHIRL:  So what is the history of Spy Wednesday?  I have never heard of it.  Is it something new?====JACK:  Most often it's referred to as Holy Wednesday, but it's also called Spy Wednesday, because it's the day Judas that Judas made a deal with the Sanhedrin to betray Jesus for 30 pieces of silver.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  My son Mark just missed playing an April  Fool's joke on me, arriving early, but missed by one day: March 31st! Just turned 61, so a long time ago!  Brings back all the little pranks my four mischief-makers  pulled on this day, like putting salt in the sugar bowl, and telling me whoppers and delightedly gushing April Fool! When I reacted...Fun of bygone days.  Seeing the quote from Charles Lamb centuries ago, brings home the fact of how ancient the "day" really is! and I suspect he'd still be right today. I'd be interested to know what a "fool's" joke would have been in the 15 and 1600's!====JACK:  I called my grandson today with a great April Fool's prank.  "Grandpa, I'd believe you, if were any day but today."  As to the origin of April Fool's Day:
The most popular theory about April Fool's Day involves the French calendar reform of the sixteenth century.  In 1564 France reformed its calendar, moving the start of the year from the end of March to January 1. Those who failed to keep up with the change, who stubbornly clung to the old calendar system and continued to celebrate the New Year during the week that fell between March 25th and April 1st, had jokes played on them. Pranksters would surreptitiously stick paper fish to their backs. The victims of this prank were thus called Poisson d'Avril, or April Fish -- which, to this day, remains the French term for April Fools. 

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Sometimes we need a little foolishness to keep our sanity. ====JACK:  BTW, I'm planning to be at the class reunion this year.  Have you set a date? ====CHESTER:  YAY! September 19th. We are working on a mailer next Week. ====JACK:  April  Fool!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Loved this quote!  I played an April Fool's joke on myself.  I went to the wrong doctor's office.  The nurse said "Hi Judy, what are you doing here."  Otherwise, I didn't play any this.====JACK:  I played a couple AF jokes, but not on my family...the years have given them wariness.

FROM DFL IN OREGON:  HEY Jack, You got me on that Swedish ship joke!  I have already used it! Happy Easter!====JACK:  Another April 1st news announcement concerned a new metal to be used in pop cans.  When the contents of the can had passed its "expired" date, the metal would sense it and change the color from red to blue.  The suspicion is that Coke planted that story when Pepsi came out with a new bright blue can.  Another April Fool story is when everyone thought that Jesus was dead and buried...and then, Easter Sunday happened.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE'S BLOG TO HIS CHAMPION'S BIBLE STUDY GROUP: 
Wha’s Up?  “Here cometh April again, and as far as I can see, the world hath more fools in it than ever.”  (Charles Lamb)  In 1936, a Honolulu newspaper reported that remains of an ancient Viking ship had been discovered in Hawaii.  The Scandinavian name on the ship’s stern was translated to read…April Fool.  There’s a site, listing the best AF’s jokes back to the 1500s.  The above is from my favorite SS teacher in Moline where I grew up.====JACK:  Some of my best memories come from the time I spent in Sunday School as a pupil and as a teacher.    





   

No comments: