Monday, October 03, 2011

Winning Words 10/3/11
“Put on a happy face.” (Dick Van Dyke) It’s Monday, and as Dick sings: “Take off the gloomy mask…Pick out a pleasant outlook…Spread sunshine all over the place.” When I pulled up the uTube version, it actually caused me to smile. I read someplace that smiling makes us feel better. Experiment with it today. I wouldn’t suggest doing Dick Van Dyke expressions. That might be too much. ;-) Jack

FROM BAPTIST JON: Reminds me of a friend that says, "If you are happy; notify your face..."////FROM JACK: Facial expressions are often a sign of what's going on within a person. Wouldn't it be interesting to see how the face of Jesus looked when he spoke his words?

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: You must be smiling today because of the Detroit wins yesterday.////FROM JACK: That smile came after looks of apprehension, because both Tigers and Lions kept me on edge. Wait until the Tigers and Rays mix it up?

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: The Dick Van Dyke Show starts tonite on Nick @ Night, @ 5 Central, I think. It's the 50th anniversary of the flawless classic. Glad to see Carl Reiner on Hot in Cleveland.////FROM JACK: Thanks for being my "TV Guide." Has it been 50 years? He and Mary don't age in my mind. I'll be smiling.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: They say that even if you smile in answering the phone, it is apparent in your voice! I certainly feel better when I smile, even as the old song goes, "Smile, when you're feelin' blue, Smile, that's the thing to do...I love it that you often use a song as reference in your WW, or answers, and on your blog. Music has been a big part of my life! I think that is true in yours, as well. Good luck with the Lions and Tigers. I'll cheer for the Bears..."Lions, and Tigers, and Bears, Oh MY!" We could travel the Yellow Brick Road! Ha!//// FROM JACK: Since your beloved had "Bear" connections, I would not expect anything but loyalty from you. Do you know the song.....?
Bear down, Chicago Bears, make every play clear the way to victory;
Bear down, Chicago Bears, put up a fight with a might so fearlessly.
We'll never forget the way you thrilled the nation with your T-formation.
Bear down, Chicago Bears, and let them know why you're wearing the crown.
You're the pride and joy of Illinois, Chicago Bears, bear down.
It was written by Al Hoffman in 1941. He also wrote: "If I Knew You Were Coming I'd Have Baked A Cake."
Next week, when you're out east, don't forget to watch Monday Night Football...Bears and Lions in Detroit.

FROM CM OUT EAST: I often comment on your winning words and print them out for people and I realized that my sister isn't on your Email list! She would like to be if possible. It's amazing how often your words are just the ones I need to hear! Thanks!////FROM JACK: The list (of over 400) is now one name longer. I often wonder how the "Words" affect people. I write them, first of all, because they're meaningful to me.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: And smiling is less work. It takes fewer muscles to smile that to frown.//// FROM JACK: Do you know this song?
It isn't any trouble
Just to S-M-I-L-E
It isn't any trouble
Just to S-M-I-L-E
So smile when you're in trouble,
It will vanish like a bubble
If you'll only take the trouble
Just to S-M-I-L-E

FROM DFL IN OREGON: "This is the day the Lord has made, let's rejoice and be glad in it!" Your latest "Winning Words" about smiling reminded me of the words with which we began our contemporary service at 1st Luth in
Torrance, CA. It was one of three services and Wanda became very attached to it. When we came here
to Eugene we found the Luth Churches to be pretty tied to the ancient words of the regular liturgy which
makes it hard to smile at worship. However, the services are well done so we are trying hard to adjust!
Keep smiling!////FROM JACK: I remember Robert Schuller using these words when he began worship services at the Crystal Cathedral. He might find it hard to smile these days, but he might, if he believes the words of his book: "Tough Times Never Last. Tough People Do." Do you remember how the old Augustana Service began? "We poor, miserable sinners, conceived and born in sin etc."

FROM RJP IN FLORIDA: Funny, as I read this I am watching Dick Van Dyke. Funny, clean and just great family and work situation comedy. We need more of this today.////FROM JACK: So you think that Family Guy and The Simpsons don't measure up? The Dick Van Dyke Show is going to be replayed on Nick at Night, starting tonight (I think).

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I love Dick Van Dyke! Just his name makes me smile with wonderful memories. I loved the Dick Van Dyke show, especially his prat falls!////FROM JACK: I liked his brother, Jerry, too. They had similar mannerisms.

FROM DP IN WISCONSIN: DVD is my all-time fav TV show. Go Brewers & Tigers!////FROM JACK: You watched Dick; I watched Mary. The Mary Tyler Moore Show was my favorite.






No comments: