Thursday, June 04, 2009

Winning Words 6/4/09
“Few things are necessary to make the wise man happy, while no amount of material wealth would satisfy a fool. I am not a fool.” (Og Mandino) This reminds me of the movie, The Jerk, when Navin Johnson (Steve Martin) says, “I don’t need anything to make me happy…except this ashtray, these matches, this paddle game, this remote control, etc.” A poignant scene, and yet I laugh. What is it that you need to make you happy? BTW, Og is short for Augustine. Og was a great inspirational speaker and author. His books are worth reading. ;-) Jack

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Things that make me happy: Jesus' eternal life gift, my family and friends, freedom, reading, sitting on our backyard swing wiht my husband listening to and watching birds, secret acts of kindness, good conversation, reading my Bible, scrapbooking, singing, memories, traveling, the simply joys of life and much much more, for which I am deeply grateful!

FROM E.D. IN ARIZONA: I've read the Spellbinder's Gift - Highly recommended

FROM GOOD DEBT JOHN: Communion with God, love and respect of my wife and kids, and the warmth of my dog. Perhaps the top four. Health and wisdom would be tops. I like my stuff but the list above is what is important.

FROM MOLINER C.F. A fool and his money are soon parted. JACK'S REPLY: You copied this from Abe Frieden.

FROM MKH IN MICHIGAN: Sunshine, Sometimes Rain, The Great Lakes, Blue Sky’s with Puffy White Clouds, Fabric, Quilting, Food, but none of that works if I am by myself though, without family and friends its all for not! Maybe a little quilting by yourself but much better with a pal, Marilyn and I spent hours with our fabric and sewing machines, talking, laughing, crying, you know like girly girls do!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to get interested in gospel hymns, even to see if I can develop a voice for singing gospel hymns. To make me happy I need to sing some now, and I guess I need a someone who knows how to evaluate my singing so nothing terribly offensive need burden anyone else's ears and sensibilities. I will be happy at home, happy at church, happy in the community. Always chuckle remembering Steve Martin's clapping off-beat. He thought about these music problems too.
S.H. in MI