Friday, October 28, 2011

Winning Words 10/28/11
“I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.” (Emerson) I came across this quote in the book, The Simpsons and Philosophy. “The Simpsons is a TV show that rewards you for paying attention. You have to watch it with your mind, being on the lookout for satire caricature and irony.” At least, that’s what the creator, Matt Groening, says. Is it irony that I’ve included this Emerson quote as a quote for today? ;-) Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: This is a very pithy WW. I love quotations and enjoy your blog. Is this one from Ralph Waldo Emerson? I'm chuckling now over the fact that you even managed to find a quote and an opinion about quotations, a sort of unlikely subject for controversy compared to all the other quotes you share with us. Thank you for the irony.////FROM JACK: Irony? I just happen to like twisted tales!

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: I know you'd be out of "business" if it weren't for quotes!////FROM JACK: ...and you'd miss me, too!

FROM MEDD-O-LANE: When a message is said to be a quotation, that tells the receiver he, the sender is not the originator of the message. Therefore it lets the receiver decide whether it is Irony or not. I say not! ////FROM JACK: I've designed Winning Words in such a way that the day's quotation is followed by my thinking on the subject. The blog allows the reader to contribute their thoughts. Every computer that I've seen has a delete key on it. I use it once in a while.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Don't ask me.////FROM JACK: Irony? That's what you do when your clothes are wrinkly.

FROM SA IN VEGAS: Hmmm... "He who has ears to hear; let him hear." :)////FROM JACK: "He who has a sense of humor, let him use it."

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Maybe that is why I love quotes...I don't know that much! And the Simpson's are foreign territory for me: my grandson (33) loves that show, however. He's pretty sharp, so suppose he "gets it", The irony and caricatures intended. The quote that my 4 children always associate with me is, "It's a poor mother crow that does not believe her babe is the blackest." They laugh and say, "I'm a genius at anything I do...you don't believe me? Ask my mother"!! I just NEVER want to fit the quote: "Some minds are like concrete; thoroughly mixed up, and permanently set". I'll have to pay attention to the Simpson's and then cast my verdict!////FROM JACK: Be sure to watch it with your mind and don't pre-judge. You might even want to get a hairdo like Marge's. Lady Gaga did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a very pithy WW. I love quotations and enjoy your blog. Is this one from Ralph Waldo Emerson? I'm chuckling now over the fact that you even managed to find a quote and an opinion about quotations, a sort of unlikely subject for controversy compared to all the other quotes you share with us. Thank you for the irony.
S.H. in MI