Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Winning Words 10/26/11
“The most important thing in conversation is hearing what isn’t said.” (Peter Drucker) Sometimes we get so caught up in the midst of conversation, that we miss the real message…at home, work…whenever people meet. I was aware of it when people came into my office “to talk.” There could be “hidden agendas.” Be on the lookout for those messages “in between the lines.” Drucker is right! ;-) Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: Agree with this WW. Understanding each other is so hard but when there are those breakthroughs and authenticity becomes reality it's such a release, worth working for together.////FROM JACK: Those "now, I see" moments are very special.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: I consider Drucker's writings to be as close to absolute as can be.////FROM JACK: In fact, I thought of you as I was writing today's WWs. I know how special Drucker has been to you. Didn't you once read some of "Drucker" daily, as a part of your morning devotions?

FROM TS IN MICHIGAN: What is said, what is not said. Often the most misinterpreted portion of the conversation is what is not said. ////FROM JACK: As an attorney, what do you think? What percentage of jurors are able to hear what's not being said? More or less than 50%? Are they supposed to pay attention, only to what is said, and ignore the stuff that's between the lines?

FROM DS IN MICHIGAN: Our poor kids won’t ever learn this. Hard to tell while texting. ////FROM JACK: It seems to me that texting has become the modern form of conservation (communication). I suppose there are times when one tries to figure out what's not on the screen...Just like with this blog.

FROM JL IN MICHIGAN: So are you. Very good message today.////FROM JACK: Your comment on "wise" reminds me of a retort that was used when I was a kid. "What are you, wise or otherwise? If you don't watch out, you'll be lengthwise."

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: I think that every time I hear a politician speak.////FROM JACK: Was it Honest Abe, the politician, who said, "You can fool some of the people etc?" No! Yesterday's WWs said that it was probably a politician named, "Anon." But, it's true, just the same.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Hearing what isn't said IS a fine art in listening. Fran Lebowitz (in R.Digest) says "The opposite of talking isn't listening. The opposite of talking is waiting." Something to think about isn't it? It takes time and patience to listen carefully...////FROM JACK: I don't that this hymn is in the Baptist Hymnal....
Now the silence, now the peace,
Now the empty hands uplifted;
Now the kneeling, now the plea,
Now the Father’s arms in welcome;
Now the hearing, now the power,
Now the vessel brimmed for pouring;
Now the body, now the blood,
Now the joyful celebration;
Now the wedding, now the songs,
Now the heart forgiven, leaping;
Now the Spirit’s visitation,
Now the Son’s epiphany;
Now the Father’s blessing,
Now, now, now.

FROM DC IN MICHIGAN: I used to pick at Dick because when he preached, he would keep at even tone and loudness, and then when he actually got to the point, he would often speak at a lower volume, and I figured the old and deaf wouldn't even be able to hear him. He did get better at that as he aged!////FROM JACK: I seem to notice that the words that people speak are more muffled these days? Whose fault is that?

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: Amen!////FROM JACK: It's hard to read between the lines when there's only one word, but I take it that you agree with WWs today.

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN: This is so very true.////FROM JACK: Since it is your job to use words to interpret events, you know how important it is choose those words carefully.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: I read between your lines and found nothing. Now, that's honest communication.////FROM JACK: I read your mind and found the same thing.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: Reading between the lines has never been my forte. but I do believe that actions speak louder than words. ////FROM JACK: ....just like Edgar Guest wrote: "I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day."








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agree with this WW. Understanding each other is so hard but when there are those breakthroughs and authenticity becomes reality it's such a release, worth working for together.
S.H. in MI