Thursday, October 20, 2011

Winning Words 10/20/11
“There are no facts, only interpretations.” (Nietzsche) My study of philosophy has led me to accept N’s statement. From his early life on, Friedrich was always questioning concepts that were generally accepted as true. But, having a faith means that, sometimes, one will accept ideas that are beyond proof. It must be difficult to always be in doubt. In my mind, God is beyond proof, and I’m satisfied with that. ;-) Jack

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: Occam's Razor in the modern world becomes Freed's Remington////FROM JACK: I'm just a simple preacher who believes in the principle of K-I-S-S. BTW, I still use a Gillette razor.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY: poor nietzsche. he lived his life in such negativity. i prefer pollianna's philosophical outlook!////FROM JACK: Isn't there a place for Mister In-between? Sometimes, by sitting on the fence, you can see both sides.////MORE PEPPERMINT: mr./ms. in-between is good to have around too. i just feel for the ultra-negatives in life.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Nietzsche also confounded many by his statement "God is dead". I think it's often misinterpreted. Here's his interpretation of it: God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?
—Nietzsche, The Gay Science, Section 125 (translated by Walter Kaufmann)////FROM JACK: Ooooh! That's scary. And from a book called, "The Gay Science," too! As with many thoughts and writings (including the Bible), you have to understand the context.

FROM SF IN MICHIGAN: I love this. Have sent it on the my 'doubting' and scientific son, with whom I banter regularly on this subject. You got inside of my mind today! Have a great day and stay dry!////FROM JACK: Speaking of getting into one's mind, I learned these words long ago: "Though man a thinking being is defined, Few use the grand prerogative of mind. How few think justly of the thinking few! How many never think, who think they do!" (Jane Taylor) Ole...The basement remains dry!

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: Amen!////FROM JACK: The curmudgeon is agreeable today.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: How do you interpret gravity if you step off the edge of a tall building? I suppose there is time to ponder before landing.////FROM JACK: Maybe life in an illusion, which would mean that gravity is an illusion, to0. I've had some pretty weird dreams. In fact, I've recorded some of them in a journal. None, so far, having to do with anti-gravity.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: Many years ago I wrote: "I asked for proof that I might have faith, I was given faith that needed no proof."////FROM JACK: It certainly relates to the point I was trying to make.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: That's probably the way God meant it to be.////FROM JACK: "Who has understood the mind of the Lord?" (Isaiah 40:13)

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: Faith is a gift, don't you think, and some people do not accept it.////FROM JACK: Faith is an act on our part in response to God revealing himself to us. What puzzles me is how God reveals himself to the the majority of the world so that they can choose to believe. I believe that he does reveal himself in a way, foreign to me. As Iris DeMent sings, "I choose to let the mystery be."

FROM FLOWER POWER: I'm with you Thank you////FROM JACK: You paid attention in class.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Do you consider facts the same as truths?////FROM JACK: Nope! Facts are simply facts, and that's the truth (in my opinion).

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I would suggest that there are some facts that deny multiple interpretations, (i.e. the math. tables...) but I'm sure I do not ponder as deeply as F.N. or feel as agonizingly deeply as he seemed to feel in his writings. The guilty sinner!! Most of us don't tear ourselves apart with guilt.. We do our best and go on. As one pastor's wife said, when one of her four children ended up in prison (he is now a lawyer) "Screw Guilt! He was raised as right as the other 3, but HE decided to make poor choices!" (And she was a Lutheran!) I had to admire that!! Anyway, appreciate the WW thought for today.////FROM JACK: The mind says one thing, and the heart says another. It's always a heart break when our hopes are dashed.







No comments: