Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Winning Words 10/11/11

“I stand in awe of my body.” (Henry David Thoreau) I don’t think that Thoreau was a body-builder, but I do think that he had an appreciation for the intricacies of his body. In conversation with my internist recently he said, “If I ever win the lottery, I’d like to go and study molecular biology. There’s so much to learn about life.” If you won the lottery, what would you do? Buy stuff? Do stuff? Study stuff? ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: If I won the lottery, I'd use it to get a Pastor for our church. We wouldn't have to deal with Synod guidelines and so forth and could get one as experienced as whoever would be interested. I guess I'd also use a part of it to buy half a dozen metal shelving units to put in our shed so I could carry a bunch of our stuff from the house and keep it in the shed. Yep, that's what I'd do.////FROM JACK: I'll bet you're the only one who responds today who'll use lottery winnings for shelving. We each have our needs.

FROM JL IN MICHIGAN: I'd "invest" in a little of each.////FROM JACK: I wonder what Thoreau would have done if he'd won the lottery? First of all, he probably wouldn't have played the lottery. Secondly, I don't think that money was that important to him. But, what do I know about how his body (mind) would work? I have trouble enough with the controls of my own.

FROM YOOPER FLICKA: IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE....I DON'T PLAY THOSE THINGS.....I AM TOO TIGHT NANCY....TUSEN TACK FOR (HELPING) US TO USE OUR MINDS.....////FROM JACK: I wonder how many who say, "If I ever win the lottery....," ever play the lottery? We used to say, "When my ship comes in...." I wonder what that means? Do you know? I'll have to look it up.

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: That's easy: Do stuff! (namely, put The Gabriel Institute on solid financial ground (to free up more of my time) and re-establish a glass studio! :-)////FROM JACK: Now, I'll to Google The Gabriel Institute to refresh my memory and to wonder why the name, Gabriel, was chosen.

FROM DM IN MICHIGAN: Honestly, Jack, I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t do all three. Who wouldn’t buy a car or something for their mother, college for a grandkid? Who wouldn’t take their family on a vacation, do something to help another? Who wouldn’t want to learn how to invest the rest, how to take up another career? Maybe a complete moron!!!////FROM JACK: Thanks for a very thoughtful answer. I'm concentrating on it. You also got me to think again about the word, moron. Moron: "A person who lacks good judgment." It fits with your response. And...you also got me to think again about "moron jokes" which used to be popular. "Why did the moron stare at frozen orange juice? Because it said 'concentrate.'"

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: I would put money away to put my 5 grandchildren through college!////FROM JACK: I checked it out. It costs $43,800 for a year at Gustavus, times 5 grandchildren = $219,000, times 4 years = $876,000. Yes, your checking account might not cover it. Go buy a ticket!

FROM RS IN MICHIGAN: RETIRE!!!!////FROM JACK: Been there. Done that. And, I didn't win the lottery, either...but I was fortunate to have had a pension plan and social security.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I'm not really interested in winning the lottery. We have enough...enough to live on, enough to eat, enough to drink, enough to clothe ourselves and enough to share. That's enough for me. My kids always tease me about the lottery. I have told them over and over and they know it...my answer is always the same....we have enough. As for learning about life, that's a different story. Studying the intricate fasinating body is another story. Truly, only God could have made something so amazing! Even though it body has some issues once in awhile, it is truly truly amazing!////FROM JACK: OK. Forget about winning the lottery. What if you received an unexpected inheritance? What would you do with it?////MORE FROM THE OUTHOUSE: Hmmm....We would separate it three ways, like always: one for God, one for saving and one for spending. Then we would give it to my kids and grandkids to pay off their homes so they can move into the family commute they are always talking about. We would buy 80 acres and each have a house on a corner. Then we would farm...yep, the boys want to farm...and live happily ever after. You should hear some of the fascinating family talks we have.

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: I don't play the lottery. If someone gave me a ticket and I won would I have fun giving it away making people and institutions happy.////FROM JACK: You must subscribe to the truism: "It's better to give than to get," especially when you've got something to give. Do remember the song, "Make Someone Happy," sung by Jimmy Durante?

Make someone happy,
Make just one someone happy;
Make just one heart the heart you sing to.
One smile that cheers you,
One face that lights when it nears you,
One girl you're ev'rything to.

Fame if you win it,
Comes and goes in a minute.
Where's the real stuff in life to cling to?
Love is the answer,
Someone to love is the answer.
Once you've found her, build your world around her.

Make someone happy,
Make just one someone happy,
And you will be happy, too.

FROM MW IN ILLINOIS: Go on vacation in West Bloomfield, MI ha, ha, ha!////FROM JACK: Don't laugh. The jackpot wouldn't have to be very big. You might even win enough by playing BINGO.

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: I would donate to my MSU endowment and give college scholarships to needy and deserving Spartans! (And put all of my great nieces and nephews through college (only at MSU, of course).
////FROM JACK: That is a great "wish." I've heard that there's more to MSU than a sports program. Sometimes the real value of a university overshadowed by hoopla.

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN: I’d give stuff!////FROM JACK: The problem might be how to choose from among the needy. NPR often acknowledges the W. T. Grant Foundation. It's been years since I've seen a Grant's store. Sometimes the gifts are able to keep on giving.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: If I won the lottery, I'd fall over dead. But your suggestion that I might win has driven me to go buy one this afternoon. If I win, I'll take you to Ireland.////FROM JACK: Do you want me to take you in your casket when I go?
















No comments: