Thursday, September 21, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 9/21/17
“There is no harm in repeating a good thing.”  (Plato)  In my ministry I preached one sermon at least a dozen times…Come Before Winter (2 Timothy 4:21).  “Do that thing that needs doing before it’s too late.”  There’s no harm in repeating the warning that “too late” means “too late!”  A letter that needs to be written; a fence needs to be mended; there’s unfinished business.  Procrastination can be a soft bed.  There comes a time when tomorrow is too late.    ;-)  Jack

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I like Garrison Keillor's comment "Nothing you do for a child is ever wasted." To make time for your Children, "Grands", and "Greats", neighbor kids, church children, is to leave a kind impression and the warmth of love, with another generation. I love it when I come into church, and little kids run to give me a hug!! And to hear my Grands and Greats enthusiastically yell "NANA" when I join them...is worth the time invested a thousand X over! Jesus loves me, this I know....!====JACK:  I like the song, Jesus Loves the Little Children, All the Children of the World.

FROM SA IN KENT:  I bet that sermon was a favorite. I have a 2" button from the Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C. that's black with white lettering, "What you Do, Matters". It states the obvious, but people still ask me about it, and usually respond with a nod.====JACK:  We all need a reminder to do what needs to be done, before it's too late.  A poke, a nudge, a string on the finger, a post-it, a beep, a pop-up, a calendar date X...you name it.

FROM KANSAN DON:  Glad to hear your good experience.  I don’t doubt that I may have sounded the same tune more than once. But one time in Lindsborg I looked back on old sermons.  So I brought it to the pulpit.  I could not get any juice out of it.  Never again!====JACK:  I was just listening to a concert movie, Monterey Pop, featuring rock groups and their famous songs.  They've repeated many songs, and their fans clamor for them.  My congregations came to expect "Come Before Winter" at the close of the church year.  It was not a word for word repeat, but the message was the same...the same as in Winning Words today.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Enjoy each day!====JACK:  That's on my To Do List each day.

FROM KLM:  Good advice.  Thanks.====JACK:  Did you notice that today's quote is from Plato?  Now, that' "old" advice, and I'm sure it's been repeated many times.












No comments: