Friday, October 21, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 10/21/16
“The greatest danger to our future is apathy.”  (Jane Goodall)  Try this today.  List numbers 1 thru 9 on a sheet of paper and prioritize the following things.  Jane’s chimps; health care for all; favorite sports team; having nice stuff; Syrian refugees; who will be president; plight of the poor; my religion; protecting the environment.  Jane’s quote is suggesting that careless-ness will cause some really important things in life to be lost.  Ask a friend to prioritize the list.    ;-)  Jack

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  Did you know that Sigmund Freud had a home in Walberswick which is seaside village 30 minutes  from here and Kerry Kelly Novak who is Gene Kelly's daughter, our child psychologist at Ann Arbor Hills, was Freud trained!====JACK:  I did not know that.  Did you realize that Freud would be Freed if you changed the u to an e?

FROM CS IN MICHIGAN:  Jack - can I input this on Facebook?====JACK:  Part of my desire for Winning Words is that people might share them in whatever way they can.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  When considering the presidential race, apathy may be unknowingly engaged as a self-protection mechanism.====JACK:  I was reading today about an illness that is affecting many people in our country.  There are those who are actually getting physically sick from their feelings, one way or the other, from the political situation/  There are also people who are becoming addicted to following all of the political news.  Nothing else matters to them.===JON:  I quit following it a year ago. I get the "ain't it awful" updates from a friend in Atlanta I talk to often.
I decided not to invest so much of my time and energy on something I have no control over. I'll look at in November 7 and vote the 8th (my birthday). Looks like I will not like what I get regardless.

FROM CZB IN NEW HAMPSHIRE:  Good one!  And then if I rank those things according to the resources I give them and a terrible guilt cloud will rain upon me - aaack.  Linda's minister in Atlanta was on 60 minutes because of the support they are giving Syrian refugees.====JACK:  I'd be interested to see your priority list.  There were several scratch outs before my list was finished.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Jane has it right.  People get so comfortable in their own lives, and find no challenge to continue to attend to needy concerns around them.  It's an "I've got mine!" attitude.  Past civilizations got complacent and were overtaken by others who were bold and determined to achieve more than comfort.  Our country is teetering on the edge now as other nations are committing themselves to future leadership in the world.  "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"...Santaya====JACK:  It would be interesting to see your prioritization compared with your wife's and your son's.  Does age and background make a difference?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  1.  God.  All others would fall under your belief system.====JACK:  I don't think that God was on that list.  I meant to ask myself (and others) to rate how important certain things are in our lives.  Compare yours and Gary's.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Interesting, but I  don't think that you never are too old to know new things. My new classes at USF OLLI program are Tampa Black History, which is held in a black church, and Science:What a Wonderful World.  Science is way out of my expertise, but space discovery has always been intriguing. I remember when I was teaching at John Deere in the 50's I told my students that their new frontiers would be in space and medicine.====JACK:  What if you'd really been a seer and told them of the world we're in today?  What would have been most surprising?

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Apathy has been a great danger in years past, as well. Until disaster is upon them, most people do not get concerned, it seems.  Who will be pres. is probably "up there at the top" right now, because it is so scary! Probably Jane's chimps suffer in the comparison !  Maybe our favorite sports team does, too!  Holding my breath for another victory for the Cubbies!  But realize of course that it doesn't have the weight of most of the other concerns!====JACK:  Nice stuff is toward the bottom, too.  I put "my religion" at the top, because it usually drives order of where I list the other things.

No comments: