Monday, October 17, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 10/17/16
“Do not be afraid…for the Lord will be with you wherever you go.”  (Joshua 1:9)  Are you one who fears what will happen after Nov 8?  I ask you to reread the quote from Joshua.  A new book by David Gushee has the sub-title, From Fear To Faith In Unsettled Times.  Its purpose is  to help the believer think through the societal changes of today and move from fear to faith.  All sorts of fears can consume us.  “Be not afraid…The Lord will be there on Nov 9.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  As painful and shocking as this election cycle has been, I wonder if it is far preferable for some of this dark side of our nation coming more visibly into the light so voters can deal with it in the voting booth and so our laws and institutions can be changed and made better and healthier rather than all the cultural and societal foment and chaos resulting from individual citizens who harbor dark feelings and stereotypes, prejudices, etc., etc., etc. hatreds maybe basically having no checks or balances on their antisocial behavior. Hopeful for Democracy to continue to work and absolutely positive--not just hopeful--that God is with us even if it doesn't.====JACK:  I have a feeling that the stalemate in Washington will not continue after the election.  I also have a feeling that bi-partisonship will remain only a dream.  I need to keep reminding myself of the words from Joshua.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  What a great confidence-builder that statement is!====JACK:  The people needed those words "then," and we need them "now."

FROM TARMART REV:  I think I'm hearing His voice loudly now, in the midst of this wilderness experience, calling out-- "Repent, Repent!" It seems to have fallen on our deaf ears.  In days of old, there were those "redeeming times" that would moved a nation from fear to faith!!  Exodus 33:1-6 (NIV)  Then the Lord said to Moses, “Leave this place, you and the people you brought up out of Egypt, and go up to the land I promised on oathto Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, saying, ‘I will give it to your descendants.’2 I will send an angel before you and drive out the Canaanites, Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. 3 Go up to the land flowing with milk and honey. But I will not go with you, because you are a stiff-necked people and I might destroy you on the way.”  4 When the people heard these distressing words, they began to mourn and no one put on any ornaments. 5 For the Lord had said to Moses, “Tell the Israelites, ‘You are a stiff-necked people. If I were to go with you even for a moment, I might destroy you. Now take off your ornaments and I will decide what to do with you.’” 6 So the Israelites stripped off their ornaments at Mount Horeb.====JACK:  Now, interpret and apply them to today!

FROM AMC IN WATERFORD:  I so agree.====JACK:  Just like in the 23rd Psalm.

FROM DR JUDY:  Well done. Great beginning AND ending statements.====JACK:  Some people are REALLY going to be disappointed on the 9th.  I don't know that any presidential election has  been unanimous.====JUDY:  LOVE LOVE LOVE ❤️ this Jack!!!====JACK:  "What the world needs now is love, sweet love..."====JUDY:  No truer words. Paul told me he asked you for some grounding truth about how crazy things are right now. Even though I didn't hear your answer personally, since I heard your reassurance, it's helping me to get through this the last couple days.====JACK:  One way or another, some friends of mine are really going to terribly disappointed with the election result.  My apprehension is over how "the government" will work after election.====JUDY:  If I, and the people like me, are disappointed on November 9 it will be emotionally challenging. But I'm trying really hard to not fear the potential resulting actions of trump's followers, if Hillary (please God when Hillary) gets elected.  And yet, the spiritual/metaphysical side of my understanding says that everything will be absolutely perfect regardless of how this whole thing ends. And that may be requiring them to win so that we can more adequately see the shadows of ourselves and of society. ====JACK:  More than the election of a president, it's a referendum on what kind of an America we want our country to be.====JUDY:  Yes. This is what troubles me. ..... I don't like what I see from such a large segment. And accepting that this is just perfect from the larger perspective.====JACK:  What troubles me is that my good friends are just as passionate with their feelings as you are.

FROM LS IN MICHIGAN:  Does that mean I don't have to move to Canada?====JACK: The Lord is in Canada, too.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Will try to get that book; sounds like a needed read!  Good to be reminded that the Lord will be with us on Nov. 9th.. I'm sure we will need that assurance!! I, too, fear that the days of Rep/Dem working together on almost anything is not going to happen.  That bodes ill for any President accomplishing much!  This campaign has showed us how divided and diverse our country really is!! So much hate and hardship...

FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:  So important. There is so much anxiety around this.====JACK: Mel Brooks could make a movie...High Anxiety, Part 2.  (A comedy or a scary one?)

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It will be okay.  If God be for us, who can be against.====JACK:   Even though the Children of God knew that God was with them while they wandered in the wilderness, they still weren't satisfied...and complained to him.

FROM DM IN LIV:  Whew!  I really needed this one!!!  Thank you====JACK:  You don't seem to be the only one.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  We have lived through many elections.  My first was 1948 and I am about 50-50 for winners. If we think this year is different, and it is, then  read Alexander Hamilton where  there is much conniving.====JACK:  Historians call the Hayes/Tilden president election the "ugliest ever."  Do you remember the details?  140 years from now people will have forgotten the details of Trump/Clinton.  That's the way it works.

1 comment:

Sharon K. Hall said...

As painful and shocking as this election cycle has been, I wonder if it is far preferable for some of this dark side of our nation coming more visibly into the light so voters can deal with it in the voting booth and so our laws and institutions can be changed and made better and healthier rather than all the cultural and societal foment and chaos resulting from individual citizens who harbor dark feelings and stereotypes, prejudices, etc., etc., etc. hatreds maybe basically having no checks or balances on their antisocial behavior. Hopeful for Democracy to continue to work and absolutely positive--not just hopeful--that God is with us even if it doesn't.
S.H. in MI