Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Jack’s Winning words 10/18/16
“Success in golf depends less on strength of body than on strength of mind and character.”  (Arnold Palmer)  Most of us probably play golf more like Rodney Dangerfield than like Arnie.  But it’s still golf…and a lot like life with dubs. missed putts and the sweet shot that keeps us going on.  I’ve never taken a golf lesson (and it shows), but Arnie has given a lesson,  through his life, that there are things more important than being a “scratch golfer.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Again I am a "both/and" person.    You need the physical talent AND the mental acuity to be good in a sport.====JACK:  When my children were small, I really had to work hard not to be competitive.  As they grew older, the roles were reversed.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Amen to that.  He, along with Bobby Jones and Byron Nelson epitomized the spirit of what the game of golf was all about - sportsmanship, calling penalties on yourself, respect for others.  I'm with you - not very good at the game but I continue to play it because it allows me to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors and maybe once or twice a round hit a good shot or make a long putt.  I always said that if I could have had dinner and an evening of conversation with anyone, those three would be at the top of my list.====JACK:  I understand that Walter Hagen once lived in our house in West Bloomfield.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Ah golf!  Gary grew up playing golf and for many years spent his high school and college years staying the summer in Cadillac and working at the Cadillac Golf Course!  Of course, he became an excellent 🏌️♀️.  But to tell you the truth, I never cared for the game.  The rest of the family play too and they love it.  I babysit for the little ones!  Arnold had his sorrows too.  His 2 or 3 year old grandson drowned in a swimming pool.    He had strength of body and a strong strength of mind and he too, he lived through heartache like the rest of us and persevered. ====JACK:  Even the best of golfers have some terrible rounds....but they seem to keep coming back.

FROM FLGT INSTR TG:  Arnie once said that to have success in golf, one must learn how to relax and concentrate at the same time, not an easy task.  Keep your eye on the ball - no Chinese Golf (peeking)!!!====JACK:  Times change.  With today's BIG money, golf doesn't seem to be as much fun as it once was.  Chinese Golf...I liked that.  Talking about times changing and Chinese...When I was in high school the basketball team from Peking, Illinois, were called the Peking Chinks.  I see that they are  now called the Peking Dragons.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I like his half tea, half lemonade drink! :-) Most of us who love the game realize that "the course record will still stand", but it's good to get out  on the beautiful courses, and walk (much less now that I take a cart) and socialize. Some of course, never appreciate the thrill of driving a little white ball, and chasing after it....It's all in the perspective. HA!  Most sports build character and urge integrity, if one has a mind to pay attention to that !====JACK:  My most fun playing golf was when I was learning (at Indian Bluff).  We'd go out early in morning when the course was wet with dew and the skimmers would leave roostertails.  Once we tried to see how fast we could play a round.  Hit and run and hit and run and putt and run.  I think we did it in less than an hour.

No comments: