Friday, April 27, 2012

Winning Words 4/27/12
“The true meaning of life is to plant trees under whose shade you do not expect to sit.” (Nelson Henderson) Henderson’s words are about trees, but they’re not about trees. Winning Words began this week with thoughts about caring for generations to come. I appreciate the legacy that has been left to you and me. When I need reasons to do things to protect the environment, I look at my children and g-children. ;-) Jack

FROM RG IN ARIZONA: With the constant bombardment of "green" planet issues in front of our eyes and ears through media display, it seems that less and less attention is given to the kind of green world we will be leaving those future generations! What good does it do to have gained a green world, and to have concurrently lost our soul? In anticipation of comments regarding doing both: consider how much attention is on the latter. I fear our "green" is the pearl and the world is the swine. If we are going to give something to future generations, let us become the healthy fig tree that bears much good fruit in its due season, and whose shade will provide further benefit to those who are drawn to it. For the fruit will give life, but the shade only comfort.////FROM JACK: Recently I came across this quote: "The love of money causes many pains." I'm reminded of King Midas...and Howard Hughes. BTW, I do appreciate your thoughtful comments.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: I agree with Henderson. Acting on his idea bodes well for the future. Moreover, I have literally planted trees that others are now sitting under. Your comments added to Henderson's WW are also cogent. Our children and grandchildren are the best reasons for caring for the environment.////FROM JACK: We have a large tree in our front yard that was once a seedling rescued by Mary. She has discovered another seedling growing among the hibiscus. Eventually the front yard will have another large tree for someone to sit under.

FROM SL IN TEXAS: Each and every day you inspire me! I love the way you think; I only wish more people would think as you do! We do have such abundance and it is our responsibility to care for everything so there are resources for the future! Keep challenging us. Be well and keep on doing what you do so beautifully!
////FROM JACK: Some days when I push "send," I wonder if anyone ever pushes "read." Thanks for pushing "reply."

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: Wow. I like this one very much.////FROM JACK: FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: Wow. I like this one very much.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Aren't you proud to be one of "The Greatest Generation?" I think the real awareness of passing on a better world started with us. We're going to be a hard act to follow. The Baby Boomers are showing all of the signs that they care, too.////FROM JACK: I appreciate being part of the generation that has been named great, but sometimes I wonder if it is so great. Recently I read a quote by Golda Meir to a visiting diplomat. "Don't be so humble. You are not that great." I think that greatness is shown by humility.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: Nice one; thank you so much!////FROM JACK: I think that I shall never see a response as lovely as a tree. But, thanks for your words.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: As Helen Keller once said:"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do." And she walked her talk! We can all do something to make our little corner a better place for the next generation! I just planted a lilac bush, which will probably not bloom for 7 years yet...but someone will enjoy it! Good WW!////FROM JACK: The Power of One is a poem by an unknown author.
One song can spark a moment
One flower can wake the dream
One tree can start a forest
One bird can herald spring
One smile begins a friendship
One handclasp lifts a soul
One star can guide a ship at sea
One word can frame the goal
One vote can change a nation
One sunbeam lights a room
One candle wipes out darkness
One laugh will conquer gloom
One step must start each journey
One word must start each prayer
One hope will raise our spirits
One touch can show you care
One voice can speak with wisdom
One heart can know what's true
One life can make the difference
You see, it's up to you!!

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Was it Luther who, when asked what he'd do if today were his last day answered, "I'd plant a tree?" ////FROM JACK: You were paying attention when we were studying the Reformation.


1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

With the constant bombardment of "green" planet issues in front of our eyes and ears through media display, it seems that less and less attention is given to the kind of green world we will be leaving those future generations! What good does it do to have gained a green world, and to have concurrently lost our soul? In anticipation of comments regarding doing both: consider how much attention is on the latter. I fear our "green" is the pearl and the world is the swine. If we are going to give something to future generations, let us become the healthy fig tree that bears much good fruit in its due season, and whose shade will provide further benefit to those who are drawn to it. For the fruit will give life, but the shade only comfort.