Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Winning Words 4/25/12
“The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky.” (Solomon Short) The War of 1812 inspired our National Anthem. T’s “Overture” is often played during the July 4th fireworks. But I did not know that Tchaikovsky was inspired by the “other” War of 1812 that was being fought in his homeland as the Russians were defending against the armies of Napoleon. We don’t always know what we think we know. ;-) Jack

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: There's a lot I think I know I don't. I do however, love Tchaikovsky!////FROM JACK: I like so much of his work...The Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty, Capriccio Italien, Swan Lake, Marche Slav. In fact, I'm going to YouTube right now and listen to Capriccio Italien.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: How true. I bought an iphone yesterday at ATT@T yesterday for 99 cents, and now I have a lot more to learn. I am still working on my nook. My philosophy is that if everyone else can learn how, I can, too. That is how I learned the computer. Last night at the birthday party for Mark, my nine year old grandson here in Tampa, he received some kind of electronic game in a Lamborghenia box which looked pretty impressive. The children were asking me what kind of games I played. I told them we played outside most of the time with a few games of cards and Monopoly thrown in.////FROM JACK: I'm reminded of the song, "The old gray mare ain't what she used to be."

FROM BLAZING OAKS: How interesting..I did not know there was a Russian War of 1812! In general I agree with the person who opines "There are no real winners in a war"...When will we ever learn? (As the folk song goes). T.'s music however has brought enjoyment to many millions, which is a good thing! The present generation has experienced more peace, freedom, leisure time, education, medicine advances and travel than any other in history. Our children have been blessed...I dare to be an Optimist!////FROM JACK: It's good to look forward to tomorrow, but not to depend upon it. Sydney J. Harris would sometimes write a column which he titled..."Things I learned while looking up other things."

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: I love it – the quote – the music and the news that it was written for something I never knew about. Thanks for the inspiration.////FROM JACK: Did you notice that the quote is attributed to Solomon Short? I think that Solomon Short is the creation of author David Gerrold. Another Solomon quote: "Mixing religion with politics is like mixing alcohol with gasoline. The result is dangerously flammable and tastes terrible."

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: Why did you think there was a back and forth between the Russian and the French National Anthems? I often used that as a music/art project when I was teaching so the kids would listen to the story of the music.////FROM JACK: Some people (a lot of people) know more than I do. It was interesting to hear how you taught children...and what you taught them.


No comments: