Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 7/16/08
“Anyone can live on hope. The real challenge is to live on disappointment.”
(Ashleigh Brilliant) I cut this one out and saved it in 1993. It’s as good today as it was then. This is not to put down hope. It is an admiration of those who can persevere in the face of disappointment. Do you know any such people? I do. ;-) Jack


FROM MKH IN MI: I often wonder without Hope how do you get through the disappointment? I would be almost impossible if you ask me.

FROM L.K. IN OH: Faith means not having to live on disappointment (at least alone). Notwithstanding, I get the observation. Thanks for sharing.

FROM J.L. IN MI: Absolutely! Don't we all in some form? I love Ashleigh...his insights into life are hilarious. All of his original artwork burned in a house fire. I'm sure he lived with disappointment. I do know people, much like Job, who are tried over and over again, but dust themselves off and keep going under the worst situations. It's great faith which keeps them going! My favorite Ashelighism..."Hopes are dimming in the search for intellegent life in my family." It was a family joke and still is for that matter, when one of us does something silly! My family has a tremendous sense of humor! I had collected the Ashleigh Brilliant cartoons from the News for years and years. Unfortunately, we had a flood years ago and one of the things I lost was all of my little cartoons. I persevere!

FROM PCR IN B'MORE: Sure do, Jack. It' s life! And, it why we are forever re-examing life, or always "reforming" -

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Disappointment does not mean failure, so keep trying.

FROM G.G. IN INDY: I love the quote but I want to hear about where you put the quote when you cut it out in 1993....do you have a big Quote Scrapbook that you paste and date your entries?
I am trying to visualize it.


FROM F.M. IN WI: Yes, our Grandson, Daniel, who has MD. He can only move his right arm and hand about 30 degrees, must depend upon care givers for everything, but you never hear a word of complaint or discuss from him - at 22 years of age he has had so many disappointments, but he is thankful for what he can see, hear and taste. He can't feel very much!

FROM EMTSINGS IN MI: I like that a lot! I think you see this a lot in people that are managing to live with the floods and other calamities.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: I remember when my Ma sent me to Nielsen's meat market with a five dollar bill pinned to theinside of my shirt pocket. When I got their it was gone. My mother cried for hours. she couldn't have made the point any better if she had kicked my butt from here to the lake and back. Yes I remember when we were very poor. I don't understand how parents made it during the depression. But we had a garden. Man, wow, did we work in that garden. Do you know what it was like to take a little red wagon bare foot to go 12 blocks to fetch horse apples all Sat while Pa dug them in with maple leaves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's an interesting campaign promise. "Folks, things are tough now and the best thing is to just buckle ourselves in and go through a really tough time for a few years, live frugally, conserve and save, try to be in community and take care of everyone and I promise to lassoo the government to be the best government it can, providing the soil for its citizens to do all of this. Elect me--the candidate of hope."
I wonder if that candidate would get elected? We have to live with disappointment right now--there's not enough money for us all to be rich.
Peace,
Sharon