Wednesday, August 30, 2006


JACK'S WINNING WORDS 8/30/06
“I arise in the morning, torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
(E. B. White) I suppose it is possible to enjoy trying to improve the world. That’s my plan. What’s your’s? ;-) Jack


HOW I CAME TO BE ACQUAINTED WITH E.B.
I was introduced to E. B. White in a college literature class. Our assignment was to read his book, ONE MAN'S MEAT, which appeared in 1942, and was reissued two years later in expanded form, had a nonstop run of 55 years in print. It was compiled of White's columns for Harper's with three essays from The New Yorker. I still have the book. I think I'll go and reread it.
....I've started the "reread." It's great. BTW, the English professor asked, "do you know the origin of this book's title?" The smart students were able to answer correctly. CAN YOU?

N. R. BURR HAS THIS THOUGHT
How about just enjoying the world as we look for opportunities along the way to improve it?

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.
Anne Frank (1929 - 1945), Diary of a Young Girl, 1952

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about just enjoying the world as we look for opportunities along the way to improve it?