Sunday, August 13, 2006

I SAW THIS IN THE ETUDE, PUBLISHED, AUGUST 1922
A newspaper report emenating from Omaha, Nebraska, says, "Two masked bandits who told their victims they were once in a church choir sang the hymn which included the words, 'We will come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves,' as they held up and robbed nine persons in a drug store."
It would be nothing less than poetic justice for these two music loving miscreants to have a place allotted to them in Sing Sing.
IN THE SAME ISSUE...A LETTER FROM MOZART TO HIS WIFE, CONSTANCE
"Good morning, my darling wife. I hope you have slept well, that you were undisturbed, that you will not rise too early, that you will not catch cold, nor stoop too much, nor overstrain yourself, nor scold your servants, nor stumble over the threshold of the adjoining room. Spare yourself of all these household worries till I come back; may no evil befall you. This is the ninth day I have been absent from you and by heavens it seems almost a year. I enclose 1,095,060,437,082 kisses."
Have you ever written a letter like this to your spouse?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so neat how people in those days used to talk to each other. "May no evil befall you." I haven't written that to my spouse yet but think when I have the chance I'll pick up on the idea.