Monday, September 25, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 9/25/17
“There’s a point when patience ceases to be a virtue.”  (Thomas Morton)  Patience and Prudence McIntyre, were singers in my younger days.  Their unusual names trace back to the Puritans who named children after virtues, like:  Faith, Hope, Charity, Grace and Verity.  I once knew a Loyal and a Constant.  But I’ve never met a Calm, a Silence or a Helpless.  On the 2017 list of popular baby names, not one Virtue Name is there, unless you count Sophia.    ;-) Jack

FROM RVB:  You will get a kick out of my Sunday school brothers names:  Sir, DaMan, JaMere, and Sincere====JACK:  I not only got a kick out of it...I got a smile, too.

FROM LBP{  Yay. V :)  Grace was popular about 10 years ago. We knew a few that age. We actually met another kid named verity too. ====JACK:  Jesus said, "Verity, verity, I say unto you.."  Oh, I guess it was verily, verily."  Verity means, "the fundamental belief."

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  How could I not count Sophia?====JACK:  Sophia is fortunate to have a modern-day sophist for a grandfather.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i love the virtue names. grace has made a comeback in recent years. ====JACK:  Grace (God's undeserved love for us) has never gone out of style.  I rely on it every day.

FROM KF:  Hmmm....not even Grace?====JACK:  Wasn't Gracie a member of your "family?"

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  now that was an interesting bit of history regarding the Puritans...  ====JACK:  History also reveals that the Puritans weren't always so pure.  BTW, they are said to have invented shuffleboard.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Sarah's best friend named her daughter Sarah Grace, and we have a Faith, and a Hope among our church children, so some names do live on. I knew a Charity, also, about my age. I was surprised to find Imogene in the top 5 names for 12016! Who knew? I was surprised when my great g.son was named SAGE, but actually there are several Sage's around now that I notice it!  Like fashions, names kinda go in cycles, it seems.We just need to "take the name of JESUS with us". ====JACK:  If Sage could find someone named, Rosemary and a guy name, Tim (pronounced with a long i), they could form a singing group and called themselves, "Sage, Rosemary and Tim."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I knew a Penny Nickles and a Larry Krapp.  I do know a bunch of Faith, Hope and Graces though.====JACK:  Another Judy asked, "What kind of a Judy do you know who is referred to as "Outhouse?"

No comments: