Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 10/25/16
“Don’t judge someone just because they sin differently than you.”  (Unvirtuous Abbey) When I was a teen a group of us went to a Friday movie and out to eat afterward.  A Catholic girl waited until 12:01 before eating her hamburger.  We waited, too.  These days people are discussing which presidential candidate’s “sins” are worse than the other’s.  I “see” sin as failing  to love  and respect others, yourself and your God.  You figure out what that means.    ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  I see sin not so much as something we do but as a disease that we humans all have.  there is a cure but it is not of our own making.  the "dong of sin" is but a symptom of the disease.  and the cure is the blood of Christ.====JACK:  I haven't heard of that disease/cure theory before.====SP:  I think its a more helpful way to understand sin.  it tells us rather convincingly that "fixing" my life thru works righteousness is just not possible.  I was born with a disease and Jesus is the good Doctor who has the cure and who is the cure...====JACK:  The "cure", to me, is the grace of God.  "Nothing in my hand I bring!"====SP:  not the labors of my hands can fulfil the laws demands.    nothing in my  hands I bring,   simply to the cross I cling.  all for sin could not atone,  Thou must save and Thou alone.  Amen!====SP:  I quote it in almost every Reformation Day sermon and at other times too.  by the way,  I picked up a brochure recently at a Catholic church that was touting the sale of Indulgences (I am not kidding)  and even Purgatory: the final purification!  have we progressed no further than that??!!  God help us all...====JACK:  Oh!  We've progressed.  It's just that some priests and congregations haven't got the message, yet.  Here is MAJOR progress:    Pope to take part in Reformation events in Swedish cities of Lund and Malmö.  The Lutheran World Federation and the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity released details of the ecumenical events that Pope Francis will attend in southern Sweden on October 31st 2016. The joint Lutheran-Catholic commemoration will mark the 500th anniversary of the Reformation and will feature a liturgy in Lund cathedral, followed by a public event at an arena in the nearby city of Malmö.  The commemoration, structured around the themes of thanksgiving, repentance and commitment to common witness, will also celebrate the fruits of 50 years of Catholic-Lutheran dialogue.  The  prayer service in Lund cathedral will be led by Pope Francis, LWF President Bishop Munib Younan and LWF General Secretary Rev. Martin Junge, based on a shared liturgical guide and the joint report entitled ‘From Conflict to Communion’. The event in the Malmö arena will showcase the common witness of the LWF’s World Service and Caritas Internationalis, including their work to care for refugees, peacebuilding, and advocacy for climate justice.  

FROM DR JUDY:  WISDOM!====JACK:  Wisdom teeth and molars that generally erupt between ages 17 and 25, supposedly when humans gain wisdom.  What do you think?  Is wisdom nature or nurture?====JUDY:  I think that you have to have the capability (nature), but nurture (exposure, etc) sure helps!! What do you think?====JACK:  I'm reminded of the Dr. Seuss poem:  "Oh, the Places You'll Go!"  ...and the people you meet...and the experiences that come your way.  They have a way of influencing our wisdom...as does the family...for better or worse.

FROM JB IN OLV:  My Monday night ladies Bible Study group ( presently studying Mark) wrestles with this one quite often.  We are really quick to point out how "others" are way more sinful then we are, because our sins are so "small".====JACK:  A miss is as good as a mile.  Sin is sin is sin.  From Luke 18...…11  The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like the other men—swindlers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12  I fast twice a week and pay tithes of all that I receive.’ 13  But the tax collector stood at a distance, unwilling even to lift up his eyes to heaven. Instead, he beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner!’…"
Martin Luther said that three will surprise him.  He will see some people there that he didn't expect to see.  He will not see some people that he surely expected to see.  And, thirdly, that he was there himself.  We are not saved by the things we do...BUT by the grace of God.


No comments: